Very sick Olive Python hatchling :( any ideas?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T o Quote:::

Well so far she is ok however we had a little scare the other day as she was really really dehydrated. She just wont drink enough, she is still really active and all but looks all shrivelled up. her skin is really rough as the vet thought she needed to shed as she crackles like paper but only al little would come off it was mainly dehydrated skin.

You have a dehydrated snake with a retained shed....skin/scales will NOT come off a snake that has not got a retained slough.

I have been keeping olives for 14 years and mine have NEVER been exposed to temps over 35....at 40 to 41 most snakes will die if expsoed for a long period. Furthermore, studies by Gavin Bedford of wild Liasis olivaceus have shown that PBT (Prefer body temperatures) are 30.6 in the dry season to 31.2 in the Wet. this is way below what you have been told.

In reality its a shame you seem to have been lead up the garden path, I would seriously consider changing the snake over, however as seems not an option cut down the medication rates.

While open wounds in reptiles can be problematic the repeated bathing is causing stress and thus stress related illnesses eg Anorexia.

I would suggest to get a large Click Clack (from Big W) they are about 40 X 30 X 15 cms with solid sides and a clear lid.

With a Solidering iron melt air holes in half the lid (about 3 mm in diameter spaced about 10mm apart).

Get a heat mat with a thermostat and set the temperature to 30.5 deg C.

Get a 3 inch black plastic pot and cut down so it fits inside the closed click clack and place over the heat mat.

Use paper towel as a substrate and place a water bowl (something about 3 inches round by 3 high is perfect).

Place the enclosure in a bedroom with a window that you can leave the blinds open, however do not place near the window (heat from the sun will cause it to get too warm) and try to keep lights off at night in the room.

Get in contact with a good reptile vet ( a retained slough should be relatively easy to diagnose) and I am sure that John Weigel can recommend someone).

If you post a photo of the snake (especially the head) that will help.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper
0419 328 251

There is talk of a retained shed...
Just a question to the more experienced herpers here... Would there be any benefit to the snake to help it shed if it was put into a warm wet pillowcase? Would this help this particular snake? Is there any way to help this snake shed, and would helping it shed help the eating problem?

I really feel for this person, as I would be very upset if any of my snakes had this happen to them.

Last edited:
Wild Storm Sarita says she has been bathing the snake every day to treat dehydration. Surely soaking like that should help loosen and remove retained skin although may need assistance getting it off. Retained shed can play a part in one losing its appetite (inappetance I think its called), so it could help. Hard to say for sure.

My Bredli had a retained skin over his head last year which I could not remove through soaking in water etc.

I went to herp vet Dr. Jim Greenwood. he said that when snakes shed they produce an oil like substance between the layer of skin they are about to shed and the skin under that. The oil like substance seperates the skin.

Due to my constant soaking of my snake in water I had removed this oil and the old skin got dryed stuck onto the under layers, so I actually made it worse. As constant soaking and drying of skin actually drys skin out more.

He said when you soak snakes you should use a small amount on non fragrance fabric softener with the water as this helps retail the oil and prevents what happened to my snake.

Well that is why I thought that maybe putting it in the wet pillow case may help rub the skin off. I am not an expert and I know nothing about this problem... But I thought if there was any way of helping this person and that poor snake, well then that is the best thing. I noticed several times it was said the Vet had commented about the skin being dry and 'crackly'.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their advise and support on our little Olive python and a very big thank you to Faye for coming around to our house last week to check out our enclosure and for all her support. However unfortunatley we had to rush our little one to the vet last night and she passed away this morning. There was nothing we could do so RIP Little one, you will be missed dearly

There have been alot of tears this morning however I am happy she is no longer in pain and that she is now at peice.

Hi Sarita
You have just experienced the worst learning curve imaginable and I feel for you.
Get another python soon and I am sure you will experience great pleasure and happiness as most of us take for granted. Chin up and the sun will shine again
Cheers
Sandee :)

I am sorry for your loss Sarita, but on the bright side at least your little olive is finally at peace and not suffering anymore. Make sure you get yourself another snake and take what you have learnt from this experience and apply it with the next one :D

Oh Sarita, i have only just come across this thread and read every post, I am now feeling very sad for you.
Your very brave to have done all that you have done. Your little Olive was very sick and by the sounds of it you did everything you could.
I nearly lost my guy (he is still healing) and i was so distraught (ppl didnt understand tho as it was just a snake lol) but i got attached to him... and ..well you know.

I hope you are coping ok.

i'm so sorry to hear that, have a break before u think about trying again.

next time round i'm sure it wil be a far more rewarding and less frustrating experience.

Hope u feel better soon. :(

we are very sorry for your loss Sarita, we know how you feel having lost one ourselves, don't let it stop you getting another in the near future, as you will get much pleasure in having one.

put her back in her old tank that she loved. and give her 2ml of pentivite for babies. it gives them the vitamins they need and an apetite, but only once a week give it to her, im a vet nurse so u can pm me any time:D

im sorry i didnt read all the threads. stupid me. im so sorry for ur loss:cry:

I have been following this thread for a while hoping to hear that your little olive was on the road to recovery! So sorry to hear that she didn't make it! Good on you for doing everything you could and for sticking by her rather than swapping her-I understand how attached you can get! I hope your future experiences are far happier! Thank you for letting us know the outcome.

Very sorry to hear of your loss sarita, Some valuable input in this thread for all who have been following it. I do hope you "get back on the bike" and enjoy the pleasures of "normal" snake keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back