Very snappy Jungle Python yearling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara... Ivy's Mum

Reaction score
Hi Snake lovers, We have recently purchased a Jungle Python Yearling. Had her for almost a month. She is very snappy, always striking and hissing, she is eating well, every 7 days like clockwork. She seems comfortable in her enclosure, has plenty of fake foliage for cover and a comfortable hide. However she is almost impossible to handle, I cannot seem to even attempt to get her out either by hand or with a snake hook without her going nuts.. any suggestions would be appreciated.. I'm getting anxious that I have made a poor decision as we would love to handle her more, but can't seem to keep her calm. Not the first python I have owned but the crankiest by far!

Treat it like a fish (pretty to look at but not a handling animal) or sell it to someone who wants to treat it like a fish.

Generally speaking, if handling is important to you, don't get a jungle, unless you're experienced and know how to pick a good handler.

Some people will give you tips about how to tame it down. Almost all the advice on this topic is counterproductive. If you want to persist with this snake in the hope it will become a good handler, don't try to handle it for 6-12 months. Contrary to popular belief, snakes which are handles and calm down over time generally calm down in spite of being handled rather than because of it. You may get lucky, but most likely, persisting with a snake of this age and trying to handle it will just stress you and the snake.

Latest posts

Back