Very thin Painted Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've had an adult pair of painted dragons for about 6 months now.
Over the last week I have noticed the male getting thinner.
They are housed in a 900 by 600 by 600 melamine enclosure, the substrate is coarse sand, the ambient temperature is 29 degrees with a hot spot at around 34 degrees.
They are fed daily on calcium dusted crickets and misted 3 times a week.
The Female is still very robust and healthy but the male is starting to look very emaciated.

I think the Male may have worms. Can anyone recommend a wormer suitable for painted dragons and where to get it from?

Any other opinions on what the problem may be would be greatly appreciated..

Is he well hydrated? The worms shouldnt be a problem if he isnt stressed. Is he feeding well? I would pump the basking spot up a bit.

edit: do you have a water bowel in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
probly too much calcium too, not saying thats causing the weight loss. but 1-2 times a week is plenty for adult dragons.

Many Ctenophorus are fairly short lived. How old was it when you got it?

Cheers
Scott

Yes they do have a water bowl. He is eating pretty well, the female tends to get more crickets than he does but he still gets at least 3 every feed.

they were 18 months when i got them. They should live to around 4-5 years right?

Does he crest up and display often? Sometimes if they do this for long periods they can burn out quite fast. I would poor water into the bowl and see if he drinks. If not try placing his nose in the water. I find with my dragons hydration is everything.

No I haven't seen him display since i've had him. I always keep the water bowl full, have never seen either dragon drink from it.

I've started misting them everyday hoping that will provide enough hydration.

Many dragons will only drink from a water bowl if the water is moving. An air stone and aquarium pump will do the trick quite often. Also change the water several times a week as many will not drink from water that has stood there for any length of time. Too frequent dusting with calcium, as mentioned by maddog1979, is not good. You can try adding a small dish of grated or ground up cuttlefish ‘bone’, instead of dusting with calcium. Most dragons will eat it as required.

Blue

Many dragons will only drink from a water bowl if the water is moving........... ewd included???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back