Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm just a bit confused as to whether or not I am eligible for a concession when buying a licence. I am 14 so obviously a concession but I don't have a concession health card like one shown on the DSE website.
So student school cards, credit cards etc don't prove concession? or what's the deal.

You will have to get your parents to get the licence for you as you are under age.

I don't think being a student gives you any concession, you'd need a health care card I presume.
Although I would still phone them, doesnt hurt to try. 136 186 ;)
Hope you don't want your licence this year :cry: (can take way more than 3 weeks this time of year)

Sorry for the downer

No in Vic if you are over 10 the license can be in his name as long as he has parental consent. As for concessions, student cards don't count you have to have a centrelink health card, etc. I'm not sure what the eligibility for those are. You will have to look it up. Basic licenses don't cost that much anyhow if you have to pay full price.

Why? ^ You'll be surprised how many under 18's there are on here, they're just as capable as looking after reptiles as a 40 year old new to the hobby, i've been keeping reptiles since i was 10..

Get reptiles4me to step up to the plate and tell you how much experience and knowledge he has at his age.

Get reptiles4me to step up to the plate and tell you how much experience and knowledge he has at his age.

Most people have next to no experience when they start out, doesn't matter if they are 14 or 40.

To put that into perspective, slytherin is 20 and I would put them in the same boat. Unfortunately stupidity doesn't improve with age.

reptiles4me has 7 years experience. you ask him, but he is not prepared to listen to advice given.

- - - Updated - - -

I could not give a stuff when you start out as a herper but you should have to demonstrate a knowledge of husbandry at least to get a licence. If not it is only the reptiles that suffer.

Hey 'no-two' I didn't know you could get a licence at the age of 10 in VIC. That's awesome thanks for sharing.:D

- - - Updated - - -

My experience started when I was 4 years old because that's when I started out learning and caring for reptiles and all animals even if I started catching little garden skinks when I was 3. I do listen and learn from all the people who give me advice on this site as well as other places. As I said before 'in other threads' I'm sorry about the pointless questions that I kept asking when I first started out and the fact that the way I responded to your advice made me sound like a tosser and inexperienced spoilt brat. Now could everyone please forgive me I really am sorry about all that. I'm not used to speaking to people who are not physically in front of me I don't have things like 'Facebook or twitter' this is the only networking site I'm on.

Last edited:
No in Vic if you are over 10 the license can be in his name as long as he has parental consent. As for concessions, student cards don't count you have to have a centrelink health card, etc. I'm not sure what the eligibility for those are. You will have to look it up. Basic licenses don't cost that much anyhow if you have to pay full price.
I am getting a Woma so unfortunately I need an advanced licence. which I am still ver happy to pay but was just wondering as getting it cheaper would be good too but i'm fine paying the full price. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help those who have helped.
I have been keen on owning a snake for over 3 years which is not a huge amount of time but enough to know quite a bit about keeping a Woma python and many other sorts of reptiles. I am not stupid. I won't buy a reptile on impulse or disregard advice given. I will have everything set up, written down and ready to go and gain experience about the hobby during my time owning reptiles.
@Freeloader - I may not know everything about reptiles like you do, but at least I have read the rules and regulations of keeping wildlife in Vic and unlike you, know the legal age to hold a wildlife licence.
:rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

And guys please grow up about the whole reptiles4me and slytherin things. Yeah they made some stupid mistakes and maybe didn't make a great impression but it's getting tiresome so just let it go. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Hope you don't want your licence this year :cry: (can take way more than 3 weeks this time of year)

Sorry for the downer

Yeah it's not an X'mas prezzie or anything so how long it takes to arrive once I order it doesn't concern me but thanks for the heads up ;)

Last edited:
Your getting a woma python.:DThere really cool. I hope to get one when I have more experience with snakes.

Yeah it will be my first python so i too don't have much experience with keeping snakes. Womas are a pretty good first snake though. Yeah their a bit bigger than an antaresia or something but they rarely have trouble eating, they are generally very good handlers with a great temperament whereas some ants I've had the pleasure of meeting can be a bit feisty. That's not to say all ants are like this. I'd like to get a stimmie in a year or 2. just steer clear of the jaws at feeding time and womas make a very hardy first snake. and easy to breed if you decide to go down that path.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have things like 'Facebook or twitter' this is the only networking site I'm on.

I too don't have any other social networking sites such as the ones you mentioned. All my friends consider me as weird but I just think they're boring. And some peoples status updates oh and don't even get me started on the bitching that goes on...

anyway off topic.

:D My first snake will be an olive python. Some people say that it's not a good idea others say it is but I'm going to agree with the people who say its a good idea and get one. I think there one of Australia's best looking snakes. the green trees pythons are another good looking snake that I want to get when I have more experience and more money hahaha.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back