VIC Wildlife Regulations being changed...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeaal

Reaction score
Considering how fast this came in the heels of the NSW changes, I am wondering if this trend will be Australia-wide?

The RIS was expected to be released last year.
The opportunity to suggest changes to the schedules and regulations has been available for a while now.

Having a look at all the proposed additions to what species should of have been added to schedule, got to say I'm a bit surprised to see that some species didn't make it compared to what species did. Would like to see why they chose not to support the addition of some species on licence, good to see we got some more monitors on though. Disappointed that V. caudolineatus got on but species such as V. mitchelli or V. baritji didn't.

By the looks of it, they have disregarded the addition of all proposed gecko species. Did I read that right?

Yes, for whatever reason they have opposed the addition of any more species of geckos. Particularly interested in their reasoning behind not supporting the addition of N. wheeleri. Hopefully things go better next time around.

Well seeing as public input is requested for this, anyone with any such thoughts should write them an email mentioning these things. This is the way we can get these things changed.

You wouldn't happen to have the correct email address by any chance? If not though no worries.

The DSE one is not correct? Maybe best to check with them.

Yes, for whatever reason they have opposed the addition of any more species of geckos. Particularly interested in their reasoning behind not supporting the addition of N. wheeleri. Hopefully things go better next time around.

Apparently the DSE has "wasted too much time discussing new additions".

Aside from the disappointment of some species not being added to the schedule, I entirely agree and actually like the amendments they've made.
Simplifying the license classifications, adding in the Dingo license(which will help a lot with mine and my partners side business of animal rescue(mainly dogs)) can only help cut red tape.
It seems they've decided to bump up the cost of a license, as long as it's not drastic I don't mind at all.

It seems as though they've been far more rational than NPWS has been when it's come to it's regulating practices...

You do know they want to charge for extra record books and licence replacements don't you?

What are the new additions to licenses?
Did I read pig nosed turtle right? :p

Yes pig nose turtles are being added.
Last time I seen them for sale it was around $2500 for a breeding pair.
Bit out of reach for your average keeper.

You do know they want to charge for extra record books and licence replacements don't you?

Yes, aware of that. But also planning to digitize records and such, charging for extra books encourages this. Also, if you're feeble enough to lose your license often enough that paying for a replacement becomes an issue, I don't think you should really own the pets required for by a license...
You have to pay to get your drivers license replaced, that's issued by the state, why should this be any different? And if it's putting money back into the DSE to further our ability to keep herps, and for them to monitor keepers then why not?
Did you forget to notice they've also decided to bring in harsher penalties for those who neglect their animals or grossly flaunt their license conditions?

Yes, aware of that. But also planning to digitize records and such, charging for extra books encourages this. Also, if you're feeble enough to lose your license often enough that paying for a replacement becomes an issue, I don't think you should really own the pets required for by a license...
You have to pay to get your drivers license replaced, that's issued by the state, why should this be any different? And if it's putting money back into the DSE to further our ability to keep herps, and for them to monitor keepers then why not?
Did you forget to notice they've also decided to bring in harsher penalties for those who neglect their animals or grossly flaunt their license conditions?

If kept my licence in my wallet (on the off chance I was to purchase some animals on a whim) it would be illegible within 3 mths due to wear and tear. It is not a counterfeit proof card with a hologram and my photo on it, it is a piece of paper. PIECE OF PAPER! Other states can print their own off, but we are expected to pay for a replacement? GTFO.
As for digital records, I doubt that if I was to suffer a break and enter on my premises that my record book would go missing. Laptop yep see you later, so how do I keep records then? And considering how inaccurate the online return was for me last year, I wouldn't trust a digital record system offered by them. I have never kept snakes but according to the DSE I had an assortment of them.
Harsher penalties? Pfft, when are they going to enforce that? How many fines have you heard of being issued for licence breaches? Unless you are associated with a bike club or drugs(or both) you can pretty much fly under the radar and even then the offences associated with the aforementioned are more than likely trumped up to make a bust look more impressive.

And finally why should we put more money into a government body coffers? I pay taxes and Licence fees already, if they cannot utilise the funds created by that, they do not deserve any more. How many conservation projects are solely funded by government? Not many, if any. (No Scribe)

Did it mention enclosure sizes anywhere?
Bit disappointed that the RSP didn't move down with the woma :( haha oh well.
And the geckos are disappointing.

The 3 year licence renewal sounds pretty good if you know you're going to be in be hobby. Saves having to pay up every year.

Do we have to record feeds/sheds In the green record book? I thought that was for purchases, sales and breeding? Where do I record feeds and sheds? Sorry a little off topic but I need to Start recording as it passed my mind. Cheers guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back