Vitticep Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have heard of people breeding beardies as young as 5 and 6 months of age.
I think it is a size thing more than an age,
I have a 7 month old female growing nicely but I dont want to breed her too early.
Does anyone know an appropriate svl length.
I want her ready for spring but will they breed around Feb if I give her a few extra months to make sure she is ready.
Cheers
Ad

I've bred female vitties at 8 months of age but i can't really remember what the SVL was i think their total length was about 40cms.
Males could probably breed a bit earlier but buy much.
Females go into an egging cycle, during that time they can lay multiple clutches, the most i've had is 4 but can lay 6 or more, my females are normally finished laying by late december but they start in september.
I have heard of females laying as late as march but they would have to be mating in November or December.

Thanks for the feedback NoOne,
Do they have any obvious signs of the egging cycle,
do they colour brighter or eat more or have something to look for.
Whats the worst that can happen if I put them together early october, he will reject her or romance her accordingly? or will it stress her adversly. I'm assuming she will be close to that size by then (40cm).
Cheers
Ad

As with most reptiles i find it's more about size rather than age, if they were last years offspring they would be easily old enough for this season.
If they are big enough they will mate and you'll know when shes gravid she will eat more and you'll notice lumps in her stomach. It's not a bad idea while shes gravid to up her calcium intake a bit esspecially if it's her second or third clutch for the season.
Don't worry once they start breeding they don't bloody stop!

What about when they die HEHEHEHEHEHEEHEH :E

My big male has just come out from his big sleep and I have had
a reality check on his size - he's a whopper! The poor girl wouldnt stand a chance!
She is growing at an incredible rate at the moment though.
and since he has come out she is doing the real come-on, constantly.
Thanks for the feedback everyone it has answered my questions.
Cheers
Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back