Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

What’s in it for the other States?
When reptile keeping became legal in WA nearly 10 years ago a large number of animals were able to be exported to the other states of Australia.

Animals such as:
Pilbara Stimson pythons
Wheatbelt Stimson Pythons
Pilbara Woma’s
Pilbara BHP’s
Kimberley BHP’s
Pilbara Knob tailed Gecko’s
South West Carpet Pythons.
etc etc etc

By expanding the WA keepers list you will have access to even more WA animals, some that you already have access to, but like the wheatbelt locale stimi’s perhaps some different forms.

You will also have a place to off load some of your animals at a decent price. Opening up the WA market (for more species) to the other states will work both ways. We only have a ban on importing Pythons. So if you breed gecko’s, colubrids, monitors, lizards etc and they are on our keepers list you can export them to WA.

At present we are lobbying the government for an expansion to our keepers list. We are asking for help in the form of people sending in an email to the Minister for Environment and Water.

If you can take the time to copy the bellow letter (or write your own), write the date at the top and your name on the bottom and email it to:
[email protected]

It would be greatly appreciated. Once you have sent an email, please come back to this thread and reply “letter sent”, to bump the thread for awareness and also to let us know how many people are sending letters.

Thank you!!

Hon Bill Marmion MLA
Minister for Environment and Water
Level 29, 77 St Georges Tce
Perth, WA, 6000

(Date)

Dear Minister

Reptile Keeping System in Western Australia

Dear Minister

I am writing to express my concern about the reptile keeping system in Western Australia. The allowed reptile species list is very restrictive, especially when compared to those of the other states. DEC has still not reviewed the species list despite promising to do so within 12-24 months of its introduction in 2003.

Currently there are many species endemic to WA which can be kept legally in all other states, but we are unfairly prevented from keeping them legally in our own state. I seek an independent review of the system imposed on reptile keepers in WA, as DEC continues to stall meaningful discussion about this matter.

I urge you to raise this issue with your colleagues and in the Parliament as a matter of public interest. All reptile keepers in Western Australia are grateful for any assistance you can offer.

Yours sincerely

Your Name and address

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I was a bit optimistic thinking there were reptile lovers out there willing to help :(

80 views and one letter sent...

all so used the guys emails at work and sent 6 more so far cheers

Letter sent . I find it absurd that I can keep species endemic to WA here in Vic and yet you can't. RSP's come to mind!

Omg yessssssss, grab this opportunity for sure

letter sent

Last edited:
This is a great idea. We should do similar things for other state and Cth agencies.

It's good to see the people willing to make a difference. Thanks heaps.

yer but i don't really want to intervene with what is already happening i would probably make more of a mess with it all but hope it all happens for all of us :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back