Waking Up In Weird Places...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
First, can I say this is my first time posting a new thread... But i really want to share an odd experience...

You know those dreams you have... the ones where you dont realise that they are dreams, even after you wake up you find yourself thinking: Did I dream that, or did it really happen?

Well... I had an odd one! :?

Last night I dreamt that I was laying in bed playing with my Bredli, when all of a sudden it slipped through the bed head, onto the floor and it disappeared amongst the boxes/lost undies/bags that are hidden under my bed. I was panicking BIG TIME. (Im not sure what this stems from, maybe because I have read so many posts lately of people losing their pythons!?). But some how I managed to get hold of it, I could see it and I could feel it in my hands. Releif.

Next thing I knew I was awake... and really confused! :shock: All the lights were on in my room. I was under the bed on my belly and I had a tight grip on an extension cord! (you know those old school ones that arent plastic, but wrapped in thread... and in this case, brown and orange thread...)

Now can I quickly add in that I am a nightly sleep talker. I have been known to sleep walk, but I can only say of 4-5 occasions that I KNOW OF, and it is only when I am sleeping in an unfamiliar environment. I have learnt from these limited experiences two simple (but very important) things:
(1) No door lock is too complicated for a sleep walker.
(2) No matter how hot it is, never sleep in the nud.

Anyways... What the? I dont even own a Bredli. A jungle, yes. No Bredli. Does anyone know anything about the meaning of dreams, or does anyone have experiences like this where they wake and think: What the-- Where the hell am I?

Gem :)

Haha wow that would be a weird way to wake up. I've never experienced anything like that but I've dreamt about various things involving my snakes many times. I just think it's whatever is on your mind at the time but I'm no dream interpreter

bit random? i sometimes wake up faceing the opposite way to when i went to sleep, but nothing as weird as that!

and i have dreamt that i had some pinky's and they turned into baby beardies, but thats about the weirdest (and only) herp dream i have had

When my first clutch of carpets hatched id have those dreams where id see them on the bed or hanging from a light and it would shock me awake and id get up and look for the snake convinced that what i saw was real and not a dream.
Is funny as when im awake i have zero fear of snakes but when im asleep a hatchling in front of my face seems to be enough to make me jump out of bed and get the girlfriend to look under the covers lol all while still in that half awake half asleep state.

I kicked my bedcovers completely off and stood in a corner of my room for about 5 mins prodding my doona after I stupidly imagined there was a death adder IN it xD

EDIT: This is unclear, I did this AFTER I dreamt about there being a death adder in my room

When I was at boarding school, I woke up the opposite way (ie my head where my feet usually are), but my bed was perfectly made, hospital corners and everything. They trained me well :p

Funny you say that, the other night I woke up after dreaming that a big scrubbie had crawled under the sheets and was sleeping around my feet. I woke up and thought I had better untuck the sheets at the foot end so it could get out if it needed to. I then went back to sleep as if nothing had happened!

Waking up under my bed isnt the worst thing that has happened. I once stayed at dorm with a whole bunch of work collegues. I woke up at about 3am in the dorm kitchen sitting at the table completely starkers. Thankfully no one else was up and about looking for midnight snacks! (Hence Sleep walking rule #2)!!!

I sleep walk quite badly, and always have. I was always told I'd grow out of it, but it hasn't happened yet.

As a kid I've found the key to the front door, unlocked it, and woken up halfway down my street, I remember jumping on the pillows right next to mums head one night, I've gone to do things like cut my hair etc all in my sleep as a kid. Apparently its impossible to tell I'm sleepwalking just by looking at me, but mum can usually work it out based on the types of things I say- for example if I walk out at 2am and ask for a piece of thread, I'm probably sleepwalking :D

Nowadays I still sleepwalk badly, particularly if I've taken any medications that make me drowsy (e.g. phenergen, which fortunately my allergies died down so I don't require these anymore), and the worst one is when I'm really tired or physically exausted... For example, when I'm doing placements for my uni degree (veterinary science) or on uni rotations in veterinary clinics, I dream that the vet has told me to look after/hold/do something with this animal, and I will follow their instructions... only in the dream, I'm excrutiatingly tired, but force myself to try and stay awake to do as I was told. So for example- one night I dreamt that there was a cat on top of my washing basket- I was standing there 'holding' the cat (there was nothing there obviously) and I remember vaguely slightly becoming slightly more aware and then fall asleep/'sleep stand' again- somehow I did this a few times whilst standing at the washing basket. Sometimes its not as bad, and I'll just sit up in bed and think I'm restraining an animal.. This may all be kind of funny when you hear it, but it is a nasty, nasty cycle- because of the sleepwalking and acting, I miss out on more 'quality' sleep and are then more tired the next day, sleepwalk the next night, get tireder again etc etc. Oh yeah- I did also wake up on my floor once before with my computer on, and textbooks open - I know for a fact they werent like that when I went to bed!

My biggest concern with the placement/rotation sleepwalking is that I'll think I've been called in after hours/emergency and get in my car and drive!

I always get worried when I go camping, especially near water sources for example. Or about knives, scissors etc. I used to get my brother to hide the darts for our dartboard incase I went to do something.

Finally- I do frequently sleep talk too... I remember one occasion when my family went camping, and apparently my brother and I were both arguing in our sleep...

It kind of sucks when you don't have a clue what you might do/where you might go each night. Kind of scary too :|

Sorry for the long reply :)

I totally hear you.... ..not knowing where you'll wake up and what you could do while you're asleep is a bit scary!

... I have woken myself up because I have been yelling so loudly in my sleep. My Ex used to take every advantage of my sleep talking, as I could hold a pretty straight conversation, only I had no inhibitions so he'd ask me about stuff he thought I was keeping secret from him. Douche.

EDIT: that Douche is probably lucky I didnt smother him in one of my sleep adventures! :D

I sleep walk but very rarely well I think its rarely. I have woken up being dragged down from staircases where I had walked to and gone to bed on. Woken up urinating in a bin, Woken up in a siblings bed which is in a granny flat. In one instance and this is the worst one I got up talked to my mother made plans for the day went back to bed as if I was 100% awake woken up went on to do previous plans then received a phone call asking where I was because my mother had made plans with me. (I told her I never spoke to her and we pieced it together). I am told that I swear at people in my sleep.
Although I am not as bad as my friend who shall remain nameless. On a school camp he gets up walks down the hill (we all think he is going to take a leak) then no one hears from him. He almost wound up in a lake.

I used to be pretty bad as a kid, but I've more or less grown out of the really weird ones. Here's some highlights:
When I was small I dreamt I was being hunted down by dinosaurs, I woke up in the dark in an enclosed space and understandably freaked, my mother found me in a trunk under her bed. Apparently I was two at the time. I vaguely remember that one, but the only reason I know about the dream was because when mum found me she said I was babbling about the dinosaurs coming to get me.
On numerous occasions I've woken myself up beating at a wall trying to open a door that wasn't there...
Built in closets... 'nuff said.
Woke up to a gust of cold air one night and I'd opened the front door (sleepwalking rule No. 1)
My older sister woke up one night to find me standing there, over her bed, horror-movie style just staring at her. When she started freaking I just turned around and went back to bed.
And finally, I had a huge argument with my mother when I couldn't find the toilet one night and seemed to believe it was in the laundry basket. The more she insisted it was where it should be, the more irate I got and the more I swore at her, (I believe I was 12 at the time...) insisting it was in the basket and she'd moved it. Finally she pulled open the door and showed me, I finally saw it and went back to bed.
Now though I'm limited to 'sitting up in bed and saying random stuff' sleepwalker status. Thank goodness!

Oh yeah: My husband's a good one for sleeptalking, I once heard him saying "Och aye, lassie... och aye..." in a reeeeeally sleazy way in a scottish accent. He's not scottish. He still doesn't believe me about it.

When I was small I dreamt I was being hunted down by dinosaurs, I woke up in the dark in an enclosed space and understandably freaked, my mother found me in a trunk under her bed. Apparently I was two at the time. I vaguely remember that one, but the only reason I know about the dream was because when mum found me she said I was babbling about the dinosaurs coming to get me.

This happened to me in hospital, and it's the only time I know of that I've sleepwalked. Difference: I was about 13, and the nurses found me walking down the corridor mumbling about the toilets. I wouldn't let them put me back in the room either until they proved the toilets did not want to kill me xD

All I had was a virus :(

Is the dinosaur one common among young children my little bro used to have the same night terrors.

This happened to me in hospital, and it's the only time I know of that I've sleepwalked. Difference: I was about 13, and the nurses found me walking down the corridor mumbling about the toilets. I wouldn't let them put me back in the room either until they proved the toilets did not want to kill me xD

All I had was a virus :(

That is so freaking random lmao

I used to be pretty bad as a kid, but I've more or less grown out of the really weird ones. Here's some highlights:
On numerous occasions I've woken myself up beating at a wall trying to open a door that wasn't there...
Built in closets... 'nuff said.
Woke up to a gust of cold air one night and I'd opened the front door (sleepwalking rule No. 1)
My older sister woke up one night to find me standing there, over her bed, horror-movie style just staring at her. When she started freaking I just turned around and went back to bed.
And finally, I had a huge argument with my mother when I couldn't find the toilet one night and seemed to believe it was in the laundry basket. The more she insisted it was where it should be, the more irate I got and the more I swore at her, (I believe I was 12 at the time...) insisting it was in the basket and she'd moved it. Finally she pulled open the door and showed me, I finally saw it and went back to bed.
Now though I'm limited to 'sitting up in bed and saying random stuff' sleepwalker status. Thank goodness!

Oh yeah: My husband's a good one for sleeptalking, I once heard him saying "Och aye, lassie... och aye..." in a reeeeeally sleazy way in a scottish accent. He's not scottish. He still doesn't believe me about it.

*** Sorry I dont know how to quote only PART of the text!***
I did the same to my ex... He woke up to see me sitting over him just staring, not blinking, nothing... He apparently tried asking me what was wrong and I just kept staring. Then he said "Gem you're scaring me"... and then I just starting giggling and layed back down. haha.

GUZZO: Nothing creepier than a small child that sleep walks..... All that is going thru my head is this: Chucky

I woke up in the next door neighbors bath after my formal after party.
Was kinda awkward trying to explain that.
Great party though

haha, i dont know about SLEEP walking Jannico..... Drunk walking more like it! Nice effort tho, I hope you're friendly with your neighbours!.... Still..!

They hate me hahah, I play guitar loud and like death metal hahaha What else can a nieghbor ask for.

I do sleep talk a fair bit.
Mostly about maths, food, working or reptiles.

When I was 7, I'd been sent to cottage by the sea (they offer temporary childcare for families) I was meant to be there for 10 days but I got sick and stayed 4. The boys and girls slept in separate rooms, and one night I'd got up, sleepwalked out of the room I was staying in, walked up and down a couple of flights of stairs :shock: and when I woke up I was in a spare bed in the boys room. I remember dreaming while sleepwalking, I remember standing in front of the boys room door and thinking 'I shouldn't be here'. I was surprised to wake up and find it wasn't just a dream :lol:

I do sleep talk a fair bit.
Mostly about maths, food, working or reptiles.
Almost the exact same. My girlfriend has told me I've woken her up in my sleep to explain the importance of the Laplace Transform and Fourier Analysis in electrical engineering and I forget the number of times I've dreamt about work. Nothing unusual just a regular day at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back