Walking A Monitor Lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Just wondering how easy it is to walk a monitor (like a dog)

I doubt it would be as easy as walking a dog. I also think it would stress the poor monitor and you would probably end up with deep gashes in your legs to show you it's appreciation for annoying it :D

It takes A lot of effort & trust must be gradually built up.... This takes time, years, months etc... It all depends on how tolerant the individual is.... I have kept lace monitors for years and have been able to get my male lace monitor to be very tolerant towards myself and my family... I've never harnessed it and tried to walk it on a leash like a dog... Also, the most tolerant animal can become spooked quite easily, causing a fight or flight response which may cause the monitor to either tail whip, bite or run up a tree, leaving you holding a leash up over your head and wondering how to get a scared monitor with teeth and claws out of said tree....
Not worth the "wow that guys walking a goanna on a leash" factor in my opinion...

I'd love the idea if it weren't for the stares and strange faces you'd get!

How easy is it to get a monitor out of a tree?
How easy is it to get a monitors claws out of your body?
How easy it it to get a monitors teeth out of someones chihuahua?

How easy is it to get a monitor out of a tree?
How easy is it to get a monitors claws out of your body?
How easy it it to get a monitors teeth out of someones chihuahua?

Now you're just being silly, monitors eat their chihuahua's whole lol.....

Think you will find its bound to go against licensing conditions somehow.

If you need to ask here, you're probably not ready to even keep a large monitor... Great idea for show-offs though :(

Jamie

You guys are all lying to yourselves...

If you could walk down the street with a perentie, you know you would get all the girls...

Yeah, but would they be interested in me or just my Perentie :)?

Jamie

You might get all the stares I dunno about the girls :)

Some one would prob.call 000 and say there's a lunatic walking a crocodile down the street "HELP"

:):):)

I saw a lady on tv in america doing it with one of those rhino monitors i think ( big grey one)... looked very amusing but i think if it decided to attack you would be up for a law suit..

It can be done. Check out Sonia's "reptiles for sale" YouTube vid "walking the goanna". Just depends on the level of trust your animal has and likely the species of monitor.

Like others have stated, it is a bad idea. Most of us have seen what little it takes to scare a lizard, especially a highly alert monitor. Imagine all the things that can scare a monitor. They sell harnesses and leashes for reptiles, or atleast they used to. I wonder how many people were acculy able to get there lizard of whatever type into one of those.

M

I saw a lady on tv in america doing it with one of those rhino monitors i think ( big grey one)... looked very amusing but i think if it decided to attack you would be up for a law suit..

I think you mean Rhinoceros Iguana.

Yeah thats the one.. really big grey thing. Did walk like a dog though

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

My lacies get to cruise around the rear yard and shed when nobody but me is home. Too many people, and too much excitement makes them skitish and uncontrollable. I can pat my lacies if the urge arises, but IF I tried to put a harness on them, they would eat me!!!! Walking your goanna=bad idea;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back