Wanna take a stab at sexing my western shinglebacks??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we have pics of confirmed T. r. rugosa pairs from people that have them to see the difference? This has been educational in regards to WA stumpies, what exactly are the physical difference we are looking for in regards to sexing this sub-species. I only keep T. r. aspera ​and they are quite easy to visually sex.

Was looking through a few of my pics and realised how few I have from directly above. You are right they are a little tricky when it comes to make them sit still for photos.

The main clues I find are that males have a more triangular body shape, larger head, and are generally more muscular. Can be more difficult if they are over weight.

Hope these help:)

Male
P1012852-1.jpg

Female
P1012868.jpg

Female above male below
goldfields9.jpg

Male
166.jpg

Female
P1012802.jpg

Female
180.jpg

Female showing rounded shape on side profile (cheating a bit as gravid in this pic)
P1012452.jpg

Male showing triangular body shape and chunky head
P1012654.jpg

Wow, thank you! Stunning lizards and I'm learning a bunch. I could see the triangular body shape of the male in the third from top photo, but it takes a lot of focus and even a little bit of squinting for me! I can see that the tail shape is all over the shop, long and pointy and short and stumpy being exhibited by both male and female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back