Warning against heat rocks GRAPHIC

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoJosh

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Yet another keeper that fell under the false impression that heat rocks are safe as they have an inbuilt thermostat, the result, a diamond clinging to life:

DBS.jpg

Last edited:
aww damn poor thing
heres hopin it has a speedy recovery

Personally I think no where near enough keepers no how dangerous they are, maybe this could be a sticky?

id never recommend heat rocks dont understand why they even make them!

Nilesh i dont like that stack of $50 dolla bills please remove it its making me money hungry!

The amount of times it's mentioned, you'd think more people would have an idea of the risks.
Hoping for a full quick recovery.
Poor thing :cry:

Personally I think no where near enough keepers no how dangerous they are, maybe this could be a sticky?
not disagreeing with you hear but what exactly makes them so dangerous compared to say a heat matt or heat cord

heres to hoping the diamond pulls through ok

Poor thing, What a horrible learning curve for the keeper. I never have and never will use a heat rock, I'm not sure if the issue is that not enough keepers know about the dangers of heat rocks or that not enough new keepers properly researched different heating methods before settling on a heat rock. In saying that no heat source is 100% safe without an extra external thermostat or at least thermometer.

not disagreeing with you hear but what exactly makes them so dangerous compared to say a heat matt or heat cord

heres to hoping the diamond pulls through ok

They seem to malfunction really easily compared to other heat sources, also the "inbuilt thermostat" gives inexperienced keepers a false sense of security (that is my understanding of the dangers anyway).

Nilesh i dont like that stack of $50 dolla bills please remove it its making me money hungry!

some heatrocks dont have that thermal cut off ma-jig
ha ha lol you can't eat money!

Last edited:
The amount of times it's mentioned, you'd think more people would have an idea of the risks.
Hoping for a full quick recovery.
Poor thing :cry:

Not everyone comes onto forums, many new keepers rely on some of the dodgy pet shops for advice who then sell them heat rocks.

Last edited:
The problem is that "pet shops" recomend them to new keepers... i was with my beardies at first.... then i went to a southern reptile shop and they sorted me out with decent advice...

I hope your diamond pulls through, that looks like a deep burn :(

Poor thing, don't recommend hear rocks, especially for diamonds.
Hard to rely on electrical equipment these days. Always need to ensure some fail safe system is in place. It is wise if you plan on setting up a good reptile system that you have someone install an over current device, this will trip and sever power supply before it gets to this stage. Allowing you to find faults before damage is done.
Hope this guys recovers ...
Cools

The problem is that "pet shops" recomend them to new keepers... i was with my beardies at first.... then i went to a southern reptile shop and they sorted me out with decent advice...

I hope your diamond pulls through, that looks like a deep burn :(

Thanks JD

Oh and btw guys, this is not my Diamond,I just helped them with it.

I wish pet shops didnt stock unsafe reptile products :( poor thing

I bought one years ago, plugged it in and checked how warm it was as it heated up as there was no written information about temperatures given. I found out very quickly that the thinner sections of the rock get ridiculously hot! I couldn't keep my hand on it! once the entire rock heated up the 'thermo' kicks in and the rock has a more evenly distributed heat.

I couldn't bare asking anyone to give me any amount of money for it so I gave it away to someone who has used them for a while and knows about the issues.

I now use heat cord and globes, and haven't looked back

Heat rocks and those green bags of death that were passed off as heat mats should be avoided like the plague.

I hate heat rocks, I got one once with a bunch of stuff I bought. I cut the cord off and used it as a basking rock, they work really well and heat up nicely under the basking light. That is the only thing they are good for. I never recommend heat mats either. It is amazing how many people seem to think beardies and blue tongues need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back