Warning graphic picture! Look what we found dead on the side of the road.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a live bearer does guarantee a certain degree of competitive advantage over an egg layer like a woma = greater chance of survival of a reproductive population.

I'm not arguing with you, just offering a different opinion. It depends on the species of boas, but realistically they are going to prey on the same mammalian food items. Womas from certain localities are capable of reaching very large sizes (rivalling BHP's). All as I was really getting at anyway is that exotic pythons/boas would do no more harm then a snake from out of that bioregion.

The introduction of exotic disease is often brought up too. The majority of these exotic species are probably being bred here and have been for many generations.
i should of mentioned that i was basing my thing with the woma sizes on the more commonly kept localities , so boordaries tanami wa etc, from what ive gathered only the SA locale (which doesn't seem to really be all that commonly kept for some reason) really gets to the 2+ size , but ill happily be told otherwise there

i also didnt really mention the disease thing because of what youve said there , i have heard that there pretty much being bred here in fair numbers now days and that very few are still smuggled , i was sorta just envisioning a boa snatching up peoples small dogs in suburban sydney :) , where as i cant see a woma doing that , if it where a scrubby in sydney , id have to agree with you 100%

Being a live bearer does guarantee a certain degree of competitive advantage over an egg layer like a woma = greater chance of survival of a reproductive population.

Good point Danny.

i should of mentioned that i was basing my thing with the woma sizes on the more commonly kept localities , so boordaries tanami wa etc, from what ive gathered only the SA locale (which doesn't seem to really be all that commonly kept for some reason) really gets to the 2+ size , but ill happily be told otherwise there

The QLD womas can get to around the 8ft mark, but they aren't exactly commonly kept.

I think i was pretty crazy. When Simon and i spotted it we had to turn around and double check that it was actually a boa. I knew exotics were out there, but i never ever expected to see one in the wild. Let alone one that big!
Sad to see a snake die, but atleast it may have save some native wildlife.

Pretty sure a boa of that size can kill and eat a much larger prey than any woma :)

Pretty sure a boa of that size can kill and eat a much larger prey than any woma :)

Going off the size of that white line womas get a hell of a lot bigger than what that boa is.

Agreed Faye.
I kept Boas in my past life and they are much heavier bodied than most species including woma's, good size head too. Grow to about 12 foot but the body mass would be similar to a much longer burm

Poor fella, I think he's a columbian RTB? :? It makes you wonder how many of these are actually illegally kept. I hate to say this, but I'm glad he got run over....if he/she mated with an aussie species who knows what would happen....could wipe out some native easily becuas of the size...

Soon enough I believe the government will give in and just let certain exotics in...that is just my opinion. Either that or they will hopefully get hold of their roles and actually take action...that's just my opinion though others can think differently ;)

Poor fella, I think he's a columbian RTB? :? It makes you wonder how many of these are actually illegally kept. I hate to say this, but I'm glad he got run over....if he/she mated with an aussie species who knows what would happen....could wipe out some native easily becuas of the size...

Just so you know - a boa can't mate with any of our native species.

Everyone says that exotics are everywhere here. I've never seen or been offered one, and although I don't want to keep any exotics because I love aussie pythons too much, it would be kind of awesome to see someone's exotic collection and get to play with them without having to go overseas.

I'm confused at what the argument here is. Why does the size of the escaped snake matter in this case? We're not talking about retics or burmese, there's no threat to humans. Isn't the argument whether or not a relocated snake can start a feral population in sydney? And in the case of both womas and boas isn't the answer no? Happy to be corrected.

I agree that it was best for it to be run over, at the end of the day it is just as feral as a fox. With the discussion on the extent of the illegally kept exotics I think the greatest concern should be for those that are venomous. There would be very little if any anti venom for exotics and if any escaped or were released and someone was bitten I would think the bite would prove fatal. I would hate to think we could end up with the reptile version of the cane toad.

Holy hell. Exotic roadkill is a bit disturbing.

Everyone says that exotics are everywhere here. I've never seen or been offered one, and although I don't want to keep any exotics because I love aussie pythons too much, it would be kind of awesome to see someone's exotic collection and get to play with them without having to go overseas.

There's an easy solution for that - do some volunteer work at a zoo. :D

I wonder what went through the persons mind that ran over it....before and after. It looked a bit too big and yellow to go un-noticed.

Focus I don't believe there is an argument here, the pic was merely posted for discussion, some people just bite more than others.

I believe the person who ran this snake over probably wasn't one educated on species. They probably thought "Oh crap! A snake! A BIG SNAKE!" And their first reaction was to run it over. Don't ask me why people are so cruel like this

I believe the person who ran this snake over probably wasn't one educated on species. They probably thought "Oh crap! A snake! A BIG SNAKE!" And their first reaction was to run it over. Don't ask me why people are so cruel like this

I doubt when driving anyone has time to process whats about to move infront of their car, I know i try to avoid hitting anything in mine just because of the mess... More then likely didnt recognize the long stretched out object and probably even could of thought it to be a peice of rope.

I doubt when driving anyone has time to process whats about to move infront of their car, I know i try to avoid hitting anything in mine just because of the mess... More then likely didnt recognize the long stretched out object and probably even could of thought it to be a peice of rope.
do they even make rope that thick

do they even make rope that thick

At say 100kms an hour you would be lucky to see this for more then 2 seconds, i doubt you could then process what it is/isnt then make a judgement whether or not to use your car as a weapon to kill it. Assuming you believe it to be an animal not a piece of debrie or something ..

Comparing it to the line i would say yes.

poor brazilian raibow boa its almost full size someone must've had it for a while before it escaped lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back