Washing my pythons....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilmatic

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

I have read/ heard a lot of conflicting advice about this topic so thought I would throw the question over to you guys for even more confusion!!! ;)

I am extremely lucky to own a 4 year old Murray Darling and a 3 year old Darwin that are both really incredible creatures (as I'm sure most mummies would say about their babies!). They are in separate enclosures which are completely emptied and cleaned/ disinfected at least once per week and spot cleaned in between if needed. They are out (not together) most days for cuddles and exercise (and more cuddles) and both eat in a purpose built tub (again, not together :D) that is cleaned etc. thoroughly.

I often dampen a towel a little and 'wipe' them down (not with cold water) to keep them nice and fresh etc. and am wondering if bathing them is a good idea??? Sometimes the big fella (MD) has a slight odor- which is not over powering or anything and I definitely don't think it is due to illness, lack of enclosure hygiene or substrate etc (but I am happy to consider otherwise!) so have heard a bath (in appropriate temp) might be ok???..???
I would love to hear your thoughts because I would hate to be doing anything that would be harmful/ dangerous to their well being- as you can tell, I am a lover and not even close to an expert (obviously!) so am open to all information!!
Thank you in advance and apologies if this has been answered/ discussed a thousand times before but I didn't have any luck finding a thread! :):):)

warm water, delicates cycle , dry in the shade :lol: ,,,sorry being silly

we have never washed / bathed our snakes occaisonaly they have been put on damp grass but thats it

Hehehe!! I was hoping for things not to be taken too seriously!! I've been a little scared to post previously for fear of humiliation!!

Yeah I tend to be over the top at times when it comes to animal care so it might just be completely unnecessary!

456648_10150629489773963_120627842_o.jpg

Ive only ever bathed my snakes if they have excess shed, just to soak it off. I think wiping them down would be fine =]

Your pics are sooooo cute!!!!! I sometimes spray them (with a light mist) to help with sheds but haven't had to soak them off before. Thank you for the reply and advice :)

I've had to "wash" my Stimmy once after he pooped and then slid it around in his hide. :x I just put a couple centimetres of warm water into a click clack and let him slide around in it for about 15 minutes. Being water soluble, all the residue came off and he was as good as new.

View attachment 284074

Ive only ever bathed my snakes if they have excess shed, just to soak it off. I think wiping them down would be fine =]

Slightly off topic, but I have to to.. Your snake is GORGEOUS! I may have to steal it when you're not looking... *shifty eyes*

haha back on topic... Gilmatic: I've never specifically bathed my snakes, but I've got a water python, so I occasionally let her have a swim in a tub. She seems to love it.
I've never really noticed any odour with my two, and their sheds have always been perfect (or almost perfect; no assistance needed), so I hadn't considered bathing them.

I'd make sure the water's not too cold, but a little water isn't going to hurt them, snakes are pretty capable swimmers. If they're not enjoying the dip, they'll tend to just shoot straight out haha no big deal. Some actually seem to enjoy it.

It sounds like you really love your snakes, they're lucky to have you!

x

Thank you! I don't think it would be a regular thing either but maybe once in a while :) The funny (or not so funny) part is that my darling Darwin loves water and the MD not so much! Always the way! He has an incredible nature though so nothing is really a bother at all with him! :)

I've given most of my snakes a swim in the laundry tub from time to time - they have all loved it. Funnily enough, my BHP seems most keen. I also occasionally give them a light wash with the hose when they are out for 'walks'. Again, no ill effects (I often observe them periscoping when the water falls on them). I don't think a tepid bath would be any problem at all.

I totally agree with your off topic comments!! Soooooo gorgeous!

That's great advice- thank you!

I tend to think that I'm the lucky one though! :)

The laundry tub or a spare/ clean plastic tub it will be for me too because I don't actually own a bath! That's great to know that your BHP doesn't mind a little shower :D

My two seem to do a lot of 'periscoping' on their walks for me too :)

i bathe mine when/if they slither through their poop! lol annoying after awhile

Use heavy duty scrubbing brush and LOTS of bleach.... Just kidding. My woma loves a warm bath

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362378121576.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362378121576.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 110
Serious question, do you have ocd with cleanliness?? Seems to me like overkill..

Our big girl gets a swim every month, she loves it, she hangs around under the hand held shower waiting for it to be turned on..........................................Ron

i let my coastal have a slither in the rain thismorning....he didnt seem to mind. It was very light rain though
I have given him a shallow warm bath before too but most the times i dont need to.

Serious question, do you have ocd with cleanliness?? Seems to me like overkill..

Sprung!! Pretty spot on there!! I kinda do (undiagnosed by professionals but just everyone around me!)

:D

Our big girl gets a swim every month, she loves it, she hangs around under the hand held shower waiting for it to be turned on..........................................Ron

How precious! I have a huge shower so this might be the go!

Do you ever use anything other then just water? I've heard lots of different things about that too :)

i let my coastal have a slither in the rain thismorning....he didnt seem to mind. It was very light rain though
I have given him a shallow warm bath before too but most the times i dont need to.

Slithering in the rain!! Should make a song about it!

Thank you for your reply- I think you're spot on that they don't/ wont need it often :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well what is the spa on the balcony for??

DSC_0146_edited-1.jpgDSC_0148_edited-1.jpg

Azzi loves a dip :)

So does sweets but she needs a bigger bath :)

DSC_0126_edited-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back