Water bowl options for 2m python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3xia

Reaction score
I recently acquired an adult murray darling and have had a few issues choosing a suitable water bowl for her. At first I was using a large Tupperware lid (much to my mother's disgust) which the MD fit nicely in. She loved swimming/soaking in it, but it's shallow and she made the water overflow onto her substrate every time she did so. Also, being plastic, it started to warp and she could easily tip it when she gets in or out. I then switched to a deeper ceramic pot from Bunnings which I had to plug with some non-toxic putty. However, it slowly leaks, even after I added more putty and really pressed it into any possible gaps. Also, I haven't seen her 'swimming' in the deeper one like she used to with the shallow lid - only drinking from it. I am also aware that ceramics can heat up a lot, but it is always in the shade, so that's not an issue.

Basically, both options so far result in soggy substrate which isn't good. What does everyone else use as a water bowl? I have seen many photos of enclosure setups, but few are actually for adults or show the water bowl in photos. The search function isn't really helpful, either...

Aren't they usually plastic? I could just see her tipping that too :/ She's almost 5kg!

For my adult carpets (2m) I use large plastic bowls, rectangular in shape, and place a brick at the bottom to prevent accidental spillage. Works fine.

However, I have never found a carpet soaking in the bowl. That would worry me, as it is not usual behaviour. Often it is a sign of other problems, especially mites.

Simon

How big is your tank? I've seen people on here with the really big metal dog bowls, maybe you could try that if room permits?

Yeah she was recently diagnosed and treated for mites so that was probably why. I have heard of pythons enjoying a good swim every now and then though, so would like to get a bowl big enough for that. It could also help me to tell if she has health issues earlier as opposed to if she didn't have something to soak in when she's uncomfortable.

harlemrain - the enclosure is approx 1.6m x 40cm so would fit a metal bowl with a rock in it perhaps. I guess the main issue is too shallow and it overflows with her in it, and too deep and she won't swim at all. But if the soaking was all due to mites then maybe a shallow dish would be fine?

Can't you just give it something small to drink from?

I just use large ceramic casserole dishes from the cheap home shops.

Could make one from grout/render and styrofoam if you cant find a suitable container or a plastic tub with a brick/rock in it.

Rick

Large heavy dog bowls...

Yeah the one you use for food :) I personally have a square tupperware container the size of your plastic chinese takeout food comes in but my coastal's only a yearling but I have seen pics on here floating around with dog/cat food bowls used for water

shame floor space wasnt an issue as i reckon a baby bath would be ideal! :)

With the ceramic bowl. Is it glazed? Ceramic is porous and doesn't hold water very well unless it has being sealed. This could be the cause of why it wouldn't hold water rather than it having a hole. You could easily seal it with non toxic pond sealer and should be fine.

To be honest though, Murray Darlings don't need huge water bowls and having too big a bowl will increase the humidity.

This inside isn't glazed, only the outside. Hmm yeah thanks, I think I might just get a smaller bowl then :)

DIY, get yourself a "Hebel" block from Bunnings and cut it down the center clamp the 2 1/2s together and sculpt the guts out of it to whatever size/shape you want then glue the 2 1/2s together permanently, paint and seal, wala custom water bowl...........................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back