Water dragons changing diet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleDragon

Reaction score
Hi all... I've got a couple of ewds that are just over a year old.. I'm making them a temporary outdoor enclosure so they can be outside for the warmer months .. I'll bring them back in at winter and then hopefully move them outside for good next spring... I'm having trouble getting them to eat anything but crickets... I've spent the last 3 months getting them to accept dead crickets but they still won't eat anything but crickets...obviously being outside will mean their food needs to be dead or it will just escape lol... has anyone here had any success getting them to eat other meats or i read that many ppl feed them dog meat?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How big are they ( TSL and body weight ).
Photos .

I kept a pet EWD for several years (raised from when it was a hatchling) and it was great pet but a bit big and intimidating to my then girlfriend.

At one year old they are still growing quickly and need the insect protein to do so ( I'd be giving them live insects daily along with fresh salad ).

If crickets are what they like, keep giving them crickets, you can also offer woodies , big silkworms , and occasional superworms (treats).
Big silkworms raised on fresh mulberry leaves are EXCELLENT , as well as slow moving , a good source of protein and because the leave have a Ca/P about 10 , very good sources of Ca.
Superworms will need an escape proof dish.
Woodies are escape artists , so I'd be snipping off their heads to make them less frisky or dropping one big Woodie into the tank at a time so the dragon can catch and eat it.

I think if you treat them like a bearded dragon regarding feeding schedule (dependent on age) and diet (also dependent on age) you wont go wrong. Not so sure about giving cat or dog food to WDs.

Some people offer there pet WD's adult bearded dragon pellets (softened by soaking in water or juice) or VetaFarm Lizard Pellets. Don't know how well that works. I've found my dragons wont touch them , but the dragon pellets are pretty good dry food for the crickets.

Last edited:
Hi Nutty, thanks for the reply...Im almost certain i have a male and female( which was just pure pot luck as i picked them at 2 weeks old and named them accordingly) ..They are roughly 12cms snout to vent. The outdoor temp cage ive put them in is made from a wood frame wrapped in wire, so insects can get in and out, ive found dropping dine cat food in there brings in heaps of ants for them to eat and they arent touching the dead crickets anymore...They seem to be thriving out there, only been out there a month and i can visibly notice a size difference in them, they seem much happier and far more relaxed too. Ive found pellets of any form for almost any animal is generally a waste of money, ive owned nothing that will eat a pellet lol...Will def try to source some silk worms though, i was wondering if meal worms would be ok for them now they're older?

Will try and get some photos if they stay still long enough lol...

Thanks again for the reply ;)

While you're on the subject, any tips on taming a baby EWD? Mine runs and hides if I get my hand closer than 20 cm.

EWDs arent like beardies, they dont really tame down much... Most young will run and hide lol...Ive had adults before and the only one who didnt seem to mind being handled was a disabled one i rescued ( and that was no doubt bc he couldn't run away lol ) ...Young EWD are very flighty, i personally think its best to leave them be and wait until theyre a decent size before you handle them, that way you dont risk harming them or losing them.

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one :) I guess I'll wait mine out. He's willing to eat crickets in front of me which I guess is a step in the right direction.

Ideally I'd like him/her to be very handleable as an adult but I know I can't force/rush these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back