Water filtering EWD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just looking on eBay for a cheap filter for the water dragons.last night i changed up their viv to suit their size a little more and took out the 7ltr sisteema and put in a 52ltr starmaid tub and some new branches. In the 7ltr I needed to change the water every 4 days as it got smashed with dirt and poos. With the new tub I would like to put in a cheap canister filter just to minimize water changes as now it is a lot harder and I have to take everthing out and it stresses the dragons.( look at dragons not handling dragons)

Has anyone bought one of these cheap filters? Cannot go wrong for 60 bucks?

Also the filter tubes with go up over the back of the viv so the pump with have to suck and push water 1m high with that have the power do you think??

Cheers guys

http://bit.ly/XyWnCO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a bigger filter that does 1400lph so hope that will mean I only have to do water top ups weekly when I clean filters. I'm thinking of puttin a glass separator in the tank to create w water section and drill a plug in the bottom of the glass so I can still change water on a regular basis and constantly filter water between changes.

If I drill a 60mm hole in the base of a 10mm glass tank do you think the hole will create a weak spot and crack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried exactly that, eventually my tank cracked and I had to glue a peice of pvc sheet into the bottom of the tank to reseal it. Also, I found having a plug in the bottom was not reliable, it would drip occasionally with no obvious reason.
My tank has 1/3 sectioned off with glass 200mm high, so 1/3 is full of water.
I ended up drilling through the side of my tank just above the floor level, I have a pipe sticking out with a valve on it, to drain the water I put a bucket under the tap and open the valve. Easy as. Or attach a 25mm hose and drain it directly to the garden.

Ive got my test filter system in and it is amazing.. the water has gone from brown and stinky to clear in 2 days. i like the set up now. although i have had humidity peak at 88 on the hottest day we have had and min peak at 42%. not sure if they can handle as high as 88% which is worrying me a little.

I also have another problem raise its ugly head, MOLD 0_o.... i have a photo down below. what do i do? has anyone had this problem? is it a problem?? any ideas would be great. now i will swap my test tub in time for a divider 10mm glass pane and tap system.

Ive had to place an extension on the curve bar at the top to extend the length to the water and the same with the return. once you get the siphon going it works great. maybe a bigger filter would pull harder? dunno but its good for now.

@mudgudgeon thats a great idea with the tap. i was worried about claws pulling a plug system but a tap system sounds great.. do you have any photos of how your is set up atm?

8236443341_fb15b36d0e_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67061415@N05/8236443341/in/photostream/#http://www.flickr.com/photos/67061415@N05/8236443341/in/photostream/#
8237486004_67929105cd_z.jpg

8236444507_b65e08d550_z.jpg

8236440909_ab05839df1_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back