[water-over] incubation method

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

After a recent post about eggs being layed and the incubation method l use [water over] several people got in touch with me about this method so here are some pics, l don't think any explanation is needed, except to say those eggs are approx. 17 days into incubation.......solar 17 [Baden]
5050149997_8c14318522.jpg

5061402076_5a6f43911f.jpg

5060795019_38c1066cf8.jpg

what happens if they hatch and get under the blue basket...........had any drown ?

I think that photo is deceiving Mungus the blue basket touches the sides all around I would assume

Do you place lids on each tub Baden ?

i use the same method as baden but i wedge two containers together and put fine holes in the floor of the above tub and then sit the eggs in another raised container inside the top tub, water goes into the bottom tub. no possible way of hacthlings drowning. hope that makes sense.

I think that photo is deceiving Mungus the blue basket touches the sides all around I would assume

Do you place lids on each tub Baden ?

I use the same tubs and there is a space in all 4 corners [ as the actuallt tub has a step in on both end sides in the middle ]
I actually cut a tray to a snug fit with a jig saw so there's no gaps.........just paraniod.....lol

I use a similar method , when I see any pip I just take them out and place them into a smaller tub with some damp paper towel , no drowning that way ...

How much water do you put in the bottom?

I have a 3 tubs set up in a similar fashion in my incubator at the momet and two of them have some slight condensation build up on the lid, but one doesnt. None of my tubs have eggs in them yet but am baffled as to why one tub doesnt have any condensation....

i put about 20-30mm of water in the bottom. i always had slight condensation on the front of the tubs closest to the door, never on the lid. maybe because i don't run a fan?

Last edited:
Yes l do have a loose fitting lid on, and in many many years of using the water method l have NEVER had a drowning as there is only 1-2 mls deep of water in the container for the last 2 weeks, in fact "most" hatchies appear to love the added moisture, but none imo have ever even come close to drowning.......solar 17 [Baden]

the condensation o this one tub dissappeared when I put a fan in my incubator....the fan was blowing more toward this tub than any o the others so was thinking that migh be the cause. Disconnected the fan last night so will see if there is any change. Is the only explanantion I can come up with....

Condesation is caused by uneven heating and will occur with the over water method or using subtrate just the same.

i use the same method as baden but i wedge two containers together and put fine holes in the floor of the above tub and then sit the eggs in another raised container inside the top tub, water goes into the bottom tub. no possible way of hacthlings drowning. hope that makes sense.

I setup a incubation container like this using takeaway food containers, havnt put any eggs in it but its working well apart from that. Here is a pic, it would obviously only suit small eggs.

Attachments

• incubation thingy.jpg
    incubation thingy.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 287
i also use the "over water "method but a little different than most.
i use the blue cliplock "sistema" tubs and put either 10mm-20mm water or a very sloppy mix of water and vermiculite.
i then put about 10 mm of dry vermiculite in a plastic 18 compartment storage container bought from bunnings.this stops any mould travelling to other eggs,stops eggs from rolling and the dry vermiculite soaks up any condensation droplets.
i then sit the eggs in the compartments then place it in the sistema tub and into the incubater. i also crack the lids once a week.
i have used this setup the last few years and had near on 100% success.last season i only lost lost 2 eggs out of 96 but that wasn't due to the incubation process.
cheers
simon

Attachments

• incbox3.jpg
    incbox3.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 273
  • incbox1.jpg
    incbox1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 269
  • incbox2.jpg
    incbox2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 274
  • nefer10.jpg
    nefer10.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 324
  • devram1.jpg
    devram1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
slimbo - like the looks of your setup.

I just use 'sloppy' perlite and some egg crate to keep the eggs from touching it.
I was using just water, and elevateing the eggs like Baden is above, but I was going away right when some snakes were due to hatch last season and had no one to check on them so put them onto egg crate, on really wet perlite and away they went, it worked a treat so I did it with the rest of last seasons eggs and this season, havn't had any problems thus far. I've done it with womas and antaresia. I'm sure all species would be fine though, also saves the hassle of trying to find ways to stop water hitting the eggs from below, drowning, and finding aproproate ways to set up over the water tubs (I spent ages, 'figureing' it out a few years ago, changed the tubs and racks I was holding them up with several times, all worked but it was just about improving).
tn_IMG_0258-2.jpg

i also use the "over water "method but a little different than most.
i use the blue cliplock "sistema" tubs and put either 10mm-20mm water or a very sloppy mix of water and vermiculite.
i then put about 10 mm of dry vermiculite in a plastic 18 compartment storage container bought from bunnings.this stops any mould travelling to other eggs,stops eggs from rolling and the dry vermiculite soaks up any condensation droplets.
i then sit the eggs in the compartments then place it in the sistema tub and into the incubater. i also crack the lids once a week.
i have used this setup the last few years and had near on 100% success.last season i only lost lost 2 eggs out of 96 but that wasn't due to the incubation process.
cheers
simon

Hey simon,
Just a couple of questions here. So what do you put in the sistema tub? and so you put the 'very sloppy mix of water and vermiculite' inside each of the 18 egg compartments?

my tubs are nearly identical to Badens, works very well. this season i will be removing the eggs once they begin to pip and placing them in a container with either damp spagnum moss or paper towel.

Hey simon,
Just a couple of questions here. So what do you put in the sistema tub? and so you put the 'very sloppy mix of water and vermiculite' inside each of the 18 egg compartments?

No . the sistema tub has the water or the sloppy vermiculite/water mix.
dry vermiculite in the 18 egg compartments.
at the end of the day you want the eggs in a high humidity situation,not a wet situation.
the first pythons i ever bred were diamonds and that was on vermiculite mix that was a touch too wet and 6 out of the 16 pretty much drowned in the egg. above water or above a sloppy mix is the way to go.
cheers
simon

I usually use a 1:1 Vermiculite mix but have the eggs sitting on a plastic egg crate cut to the size of the container that way the eggs are not sitting directly on the vermiculite which could be to wet.

I may try the water method this season.

Sorry for the BS about to follow..BUT my real life job entails psyching workers up on a daily basis as a motivational tool and this is my first year of this method Baden, so i'm pumped to hear this info and being a bit behind most on here, my girls are all but ready to drop. So the reassurance with this method is great.
Thanks Guys... I'm now FULLY pumped! lol

looks like a great way to incubate.
has anyone used this method for bearded dragon eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back