Water Python died yesterday

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCW74

Reaction score
Just need to share my pain :cry:

My beautiful Water Python, Hannibal, died yesterday. He was only around 3.5 years old. I found him curled up in his water bowl yesterday, dead.

He had been moving around his enclosure on Friday.....I don't know what happened, I can only assume he got in the water (perhaps to aid a shed), it got cold overnight and he died. I had been wintering him and he hadn't been fed since May...so undigested food issues shoudn't have been an issue.

I feel like a bad owner and am very sad for his loss, he was a great looking snake who had settled down well after being an aggressive guy when I first got him aged 2.

R.I.P Hannibal, I'll miss you mate.

I am very sorry to hear that. Have you considered getting a necropsy done by an experienced herp vet? It doesn't always provide answers, but if it does you may find it was nothing to do with your husbandry. If you do decide to do this, keep the snake in the fridge, not the freezer.

That sux mate I think I sold you that one 2 years ago at the sofar expo he was a beautiful snake

Yep, he's the one. He'd become very placid and easy to handle, was a great feeder and looked beautiful in the sun. He will be missed my all my family...

Renenet, I did think about taking the corpse to the vet, but in the end I decided against it.

Sorry for your loss mate. It's even worse when it's a beautiful animal like a water.

I doubt it was getting in the water bowl that harmed him. Something else would have been wrong and he just happened to die in the bowl. Sorry for your loss but I imagine there wasn't anything to be done to prevent it.

Am really sorry for your loss mate, it's the most gut wrenching feeling finding them like that, the last thing you expect to see. I can sympathise with you as I've also just lost a bredli male of mine last night, he was only 2.5 yrs. He was in perfect health as well, enclosure and set-up all fine & secure. Am guessing he must've fallen off a branch awkwardly and badly injured himself :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back