Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 46451

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to buy my first snake, and the water python really calls to me. I was wondering if anyone would recommend them as beginner snakes, or if I should get one after I have more experience with owning snakes.

idk them well, but according to other people they're very...Bitey, more so look at and don't touch pythons (not that many are touchy animals, but compared to other pythons)

I've heard a bit of them either being really good or really bad, bottom line is they are a big snake (grow to around 3m long) and they can be extremely temperamental. I'm currently looking at getting one as my second snake, but I certainly wouldn't have gotten one as my first.

In general...NT Water pythons are very cranky but their QLD cousins are usually well mannered.

I have a water python called snappy. But out of the five or six i had to choose from he was the only one that tried to bite.

I've had a QLD one for the past 6 months and I certainly don't have a huge amount of experience with snakes. It's nearly a year old now and it's the only snake i'd let the grandchildren hold. Different snake when it's in enclosure though. I just hook it and lay it on the beanbag after a few moments it changes from 'fight' to 'flight' mode and it's the most placid snake you could wish for. If the size bothers you go for a male, my understanding is it should end up a bit smaller. As for actually looking after it the only things i do differently to the carpets is give it a bigger water bowl and monitor the humidity a bit more. I aim for 55-65%. After a shed they are spectacular in the sunlight.

Bitey, more tempermental in cage, but hey, they are a stunning snake. If your worried about the temperament, how do you feel about an olive ?

Some of mine. I absolutely love them. Sorry for the picture overload (or you're welcome if you enjoyed it).

SdajisnewWaterPythoninMarch2012.jpg

Moosedaughteryellowbelly.jpg

Crazy dangerous snappy snakes! Especially these three.

MooseskidsandRainbowss.jpg

This picture is about 15 years old, I still have this snake and she's still my favourite snake in the world.

AimyandSdajiearlyMay2005APScrapvers.jpg

Rainbow.jpg

Rainbow2.jpg

Jadeheadd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back