Weekend findings and ID Snakes, geckos and lizards.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakes123

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
After complaining on every threat of someone herping and actually finding stuff, i can now saw i have too. But this week end i wasn't even trying.

On Saturday mum called me to tell me there were 3 green tree snakes curled up in a tree (i think they were mating) at the netball courts and they were scaring most people. So i rang my grandma and she drove me there :) thanks grandma. And i managed to touch it and they feel really cool. I also know where their hidey holes are so ill go back next week to see.

The next 2 were today. Firstly i lifted up a rock to use as my bike jump, and i saw a thing slithering away, i got so excited i thought it was another snake, but looked and it has 4 tiny legs so i think it was some kind of legless lizard. This is where i need ID.

And last if you look at my thread for an ID a while back for a gecko, the broad tailed gecko, i think it myst have had babys, because i found a tiny little version of its parents.

Sorry for the crappy photos, dad had the camera at his house this week. Of all weeks not to have the DSLR heyy :(

Attachments

• Image0062.jpg
    Image0062.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Image0063.jpg
    Image0063.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN2313.jpg
    DSCN2313.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN2316.jpg
    DSCN2316.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN2318.jpg
    DSCN2318.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN2320.jpg
    DSCN2320.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Anomalopus sp. or Lerista sp. most likely.

GRIMBENNY PROVED ME WRONG.

where abouts where you herping?

the skink and gecko were at my house, the skink across the road, and the gecko beside my house.
And the snakes were at the netball courts in south turramurra where the helicopter crashed the other week.

I'll use my imagination on the GTS lol Finally you got some herps :)

Agreed Three-toed Skink (Saiphos equalis), Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko (Phyllurus platurus).

The snake you cannot see enough of for a good guess. However, there are basically three possibilities I can think of with respect to the snake and if I had to pick one based on what I can see I would go with Green Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata).

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed Three-toed Skink (Saiphos equalis), Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko (Phyllurus platurus). The snake you cannot see enough of for a half-ways likely guess.

Blue

I know the snakes were GTS i touched them, i only needed id on the skink. But thanks :)

Saiphos is a pretty special little skink the southern population (including the little guy you found) lays eggs and the north western population gives birth to live young.

Saiphos is a pretty special little skink the southern population (including the little guy you found) lays eggs and the north western population gives birth to live young.
Thats pretty cool, do you know if it was a young one or if it was an adult?

Thank you for that info Grimbeny.

I was aware they actually retain the embryos, which develop significantly within the mother, so that when they do lay eggs, they hatch not that long after being laid. I did not know that they are also known to have live young. Although not entirely surprising, I still find that really fascinating! Great stuff!

Snake123,

The individual shown in the photos is an adult.

I was interrupted while reading the original post and coming back to it did not realise it was only the skink. They are very common in suitable habitat - moist decaying leaf litter with logs or rocks for cover. When observed in the sunshine they have the have the most beautiful coppery sheen. Young are a good size and possess the same glossy coppery sheen to them. If they are agitated and trying to escape, it doesn't take much pressure for them to drop their tails. However once they calm down they are cool to handle. They mostly motor around the place like a small snake but they can climb fairly effectively when they want to.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I was making sure it didn't drop its tail. But they are really hard to handle, slippery and jumping out, but as you said it did calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back