Weird lumps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helene789

Reaction score
Hey
I bought a beautiful olive hatchie earlier this year and he was bought with little lumps on him and his muscle just looks almost undeveloped. I've never seen it on my other snakes and I wasn't sure if anyone may have seen this before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 149
Looks underfed to me, but that's just my thoughts from the photo

What happens to the form in the lumpy area when the snake crawls over branches. Is the area stiff and rigid or does that part of the body move normally?

Olive python juries will get 'lumps' along the sides similar to that. I wouldn't be too worried. Here is a photo of one of mine a few years ago. Not as pronounced as yours but you can see the lumps and lines.

He's eating like normal and has just shed no issue. I just worry that it will hurt him in the long term. He is pretty good when he's wrapping around things. Only if he isn't entirely supporting his weight it becomes more prominent.

Could it be a spinal condition?... http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/crazy-spine-condition-coastal-python-213151/ Maybe getting an x-ray will confirm that for you? I guess as long as he feeds fine and sheds un-hindered or with minimal help it shouldn't present too much of an issue for the snake.Lovely olive you have there though :)

I am no expert but if I were to suspect a spinal problem I would be thinking it would be along the area of the spine and not along the ventrals......Unless I am viewing the photos incorrectly the spine line looks relatively normal.

I am no expert but if I were to suspect a spinal problem I would be thinking it would be along the area of the spine and not along the ventrals......Unless I am viewing the photos incorrectly the spine line looks relatively normal.

On closer inspection of the images I think it was myself who viewed them wrong, especially after comparing them with No-Two's images.

I think you'll find that it's just the combination of the long muscles and internal organs settling and sagging when the belly is unsupported. Much more obvious on those unpatterned, velvety, finely scaled snakes like Olives than it is on the harder-looking snakes like Carpets.

Jamie

My Olives have small little lumps sometimes on the sides. At first I thought some sort of internal parasites but after talking too other Olive owners realised its normal for young ones. I recommend a big feed though.

Cheers, Dan

While taking nothing away from the other comments made, I would agree with those that stated the animal appears under weight. Good body condition is where the backbone is visible with a slight lateral depression to either side. In cross-section the snake should be rounded except for the top dorsal surface. Snakes lacking body condition tend to have a triangular cross-section, with loose lateral skin and a hollow feel to the ventral surface. At the other end of the scale, a snake that is overweight will be rounded in cross-section, like a hose. The spine will not be readily visible due to the deposits of fat along either side of the vertebral column.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back