Well finally bought a Bird Eating Spider :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfamora

Reaction score
Hi all... First post on this forum and thought I would share my thrill at finally buying a Bird Eating Spider....

Have had the tank and setup for over 12 months with no inhabitant and bit the bullet and bought a Dwarf Tropix spider. Looks to be young only has a leg span of about 8cm but hoping with time it will grow to look like this beautiful beast :)

1.jpg

So far since being relocated she has not ventured out of the burrow so can only show a picture of her house... the pet store was nice enough to give me her existing home to transfer into my tank...

_MG_0042.jpg

Hoping to get in contact with other spider enthuisasts and post more photos of my own when she decides to make herself visible. Thanks for reading and hopefully get some good tips from other owners! Cheers.

ech.. *shudder* con.. grats *shudder* really.. really beautiful.. *runs*

love the web over the log. if it were blue and, i dunno spat fire it would belong in avatar!

Yup Bricked here are a few Quick Snaps..... Looks like she is thinking of coming out for the first time, her legs are hanging out of one of the holes..... Be brave little Tarantula :)

_MG_0052.jpg

_MG_0058.jpg

Last edited:
looks cool! is the burrow in the log where the web is concentrated? also whats in the bowl on the left?

The Bowl has a bit of water in it with pebbles in the bottom so if she decides to get in she wont get trapped and has a way to get back out.... helps keep the humidity in the tank as well :)

I wouldnt say a burrow maybe that was wrong... her home is in that log... she has lined it with web inside and over the holes... her way of knowing if anything is planning to come inside, early defense system.

no the white one on the left outside the enclosure, anything spider related?

Ahhh no.... just some shells I collected from the beach one day lol...

if its a dwarf tropix it would be fully grown. if you want a larger species go for a phlogius crassipes or phlogius sarina. if you are into spiders join the green scorpion forum.

Ahh I looked on Green Scorpion they are selling this species of Tarantula and had an adult measuring 65mm... Was told by the guy I bought it off today It may get out to 120mm. Not holding my breath tho..... which is fine seeing its my first Tarantula. Manageable size for now. It is obviously named a Dwarf for a reason :)

He told me he has a couple of Sarinas at home alot larger, was very knowledgable on how to care for them and spoke to me for a good hour before I decided to buy.

Im sure this will be the first of at least a couple, so for now size isnt my huge concern... The biggies will come at a later date :)

Last edited:
aweeeesome :3 i like spiders, theyre cool as. would never own one but lol. good luck with your wee one! keep us updated :D pics are always a must here!

A Small video of my setup and the spider :D

[video=youtube;TF1n4PME4DY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF1n4PME4DY[/video]

if you want your spider to be more cage active then you will need to make either the room darker or her tank darker. See if you can make one end of the tank deeper with mixed cocopeat and sand to enable her to burrow if she chooses. And dont forget to mist lightly every couple of days.I have a dwarf tropix and is about 80mm full size, likes to burrow and is quite active hunting roaches and crickets at night. Good luck

Cheers.... The light was just from the lamp I normally switch on just to check on her, pretty dark every other time of the day :)

Will build up one side of the tank with more peat moss to let her dig, thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back