Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Reaction score
Hey, finally a field forum on the site. These are some photos from a fairly recent herp trip around western Queensland. The habitat is mostly semi-arid. We spent 6 days on this trip, travelling 6500km, leaving from and returning to Sydney. A total of 55 herp species were found.

The first herp seen on this trip was this juvenile western brown snake Pseudonaja nuchalis.
RIMG1442.jpg

The Curl Snake (Suta suta)
RIMG1531.jpg

And of course, there are many many species of gecko out there. Below is a Box-patterned Gecko (Diplodactylus steindachneri)
RIMG1481.jpg

A Beaked Gecko (Rhynchoedura ornata)
RIMG1454.jpg

A Northern Spiny-tailed Gecko (Strophurus ciliaris)
RIMG1540.jpg

An Eastern Spiny-tailed Gecko (Strophurus williamsi)
RIMG1743.jpg

and a Robust Dtella (Gehyra robusta)
RIMG1676.jpg

Varanids are also a very common site out there. Below is a Yellow-spoted Monitor (Varanus panoptes) after foraging through the mud.
RIMG1562.jpg

A Sand Monitor (Varanus gouldii).
RIMG1518.jpg

And a Ridge-tailed Monitor (Varanus acanthurus).
RIMG1640.jpg

Just a few of the Agamids we came across.
Below is one you would all be familiar with. This is a juvenile Central Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps).
RIMG1489.jpg

A Burns' Dragon (Amphibolurus burnsi)
RIMG1523.jpg

A Pebble Dragon (Tympanocryptis cephalus), so named by its ability to camoulflage amongst the gibber pebbles.
RIMG1577.jpg

A Black-soil Plains Bearded Dragon (or whatever common name you know it by) (Pogona henrylawsoni).
RIMG1697.jpg

Skinks were the most diverse family found on the trip. Here a few photo of the larger species. Below is a shot of an adult and a juvneile Shingleback Skink (Tiliqua rugosa).
RIMG1764.jpg

RIMG2179.jpg

A fairly ordinary looking Centralian Blue-tongued Skink (Tiliqua multifasciata).
RIMG1707.jpg

A Yakka Skink (Egernia rugosa).
RIMG1722.jpg

And a Panther Ctenotus (Ctenotus pantherinus)
RIMG1605.jpg

A small species of legless lizard (Delma nasuta) who didn't want to sit still for a photo.
RIMG1614.jpg

Below are a few varied habitat shots on the trip.
RIMG1527.jpg

RIMG1544.jpg

RIMG1591.jpg

RIMG1592.jpg

RIMG1597.jpg

And lastly for the snake lover, a red-phase Common Death Adder who greeted us on the road back into Sydney.
RIMG1782.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

Beautiful pics, Macca. I have seen many Shinglebacks but never a juvenile. You found so many great herps!

Regards,
David

Hey Trouser,

The first two habitat shots, in addition to the Burns' dragon, Sand Monitor, Curl Snake and Northern Spiny-tail Gecko were all in the general Windorah area.

Overall, we headed from Sydney straight up and across to Windorah, then up through Jundah to Winton, then west across to Boulia, up through Dajarra to Mt Isa, east across to Cloncurry before heading back toward Sydney via the St George/Roma area.

Overall, we headed from Sydney straight up and across to Windorah, then up through Jundah to Winton, then west across to Boulia, up through Dajarra to Mt Isa, east across to Cloncurry before heading back toward Sydney via the St George/Roma area.

In six days!!? You're keen!

Stewart

Another thing... If you found 55 species, my calculations indicate that you owe us another 30 photos...

Stewart

Unfortunately it could only be 6 days as herping with a work colleague whilst working in a small team usually means the maximal travel time is under a week.

We got 47 reptiles and 8 frog species. This trip was done before I got my little old camera which means many of the photos of other species aren't very clear. Rather than post those, I'll put up photos of a number of other herping trips over the last couple of years in a few days.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Ryan,

A combination of both. This trip was in February which is very hot in semi-arid areas. For this reason, most critters seen were spotlighting from the car at night. However, you can still find quite a few by searching on foot or by car in the early morning before it gets too hot. Its a matter of knowing which species occur there and the microhabitats they're found in.

Macca, thanks for posting this. There's some incredible pics of both herps and the areas you visited. Great work!
cheers, toon

wow thats awesome :D
anyone i know go with you?
i wish i went on trips like this, i might organise something with a few people i know to help me i.d everything! practise makes perfect! what frog species did you find? (im still going on strong with the frog thing! but obviously still dont know enough means more study! :p)

Nat ;)

damm mate your one lucky guy finding that many herps. Down here in gippsland i have troubles finding one. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back