Western Bearded Dragon or baby Eastern?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Animal in the pics doesnt look like minor minor, too much beard. P minor mitchelli have stronger beards and often the paler mouth lining, what did you originally buy?

The fact that you could just pick it up doesnt mean much, most of the minor I see here are easily approached and handled if you feel the need.

But minor mitchelli don't have the the backward arch curving spines on the rear of its head the lizard in the pics on this thread is a barbata.

mate to upload pictures click on go advanced then go to manage attachments.

But minor mitchelli don't have the the backward arch curving spines on the rear of its head the lizard in the pics on this thread is a barbata.

No arguements here. I have minimal experience with barbata but a lot with minor/ mitchelli. Pilbara mitchelli dont always show a dead straight line of spines at the base of the skull, it can vary into a slight curve.

mmk interesting but does it curve to the extent as seen in barbata (some pics on google should show you).

mmk interesting but does it curve to the extent as seen in barbata (some pics on google should show you).
This is all totally confusing me. In e pics of the original dragon I bought I don't see a line of spikes across the back of his head at all.

You told me it does....

Ok... The lizard I found has spikes on the back of its head in a curved pattern. I can't look at the lizard I lost (because its lost :) ) but in the pics I don't see spikes- are you able to open the thread I referenced in the first post here?

Yeah I can't see any either in the "other" thread but the pics are too far away so I cn see anything in specific detail.

That looks like a P. barbata to me. The spines on top of the head are very similar to those of P. m. minor. It’s the beard and the spines along the edge of the body that are different. Of course adult P. barbata differ in numerous other ways. If the photo renders its true colours, the black beard that is developing is symptomatic of a male. The black throat is typical and the mouth lining and gums will gradually develop a deep yellow colour to them as it matures.

I should have qualified what I said about picking up wild P. barbata. You can get within about two or three metres of an adult and they will bolt off into the undergrowth and suddenly stop. The hatchlings tend to rely more on camouflage. Once they get a bit bigger they too will bolt off but only if there is protective cover to jump into. If they are on an exposed branch with say nothing but dirt underneath, they will tough it out. But if you touch them, they will jump and run. An adult in a tree will move away from you but in my experience they are reluctant to jump.

To not have the animal struggle when picked up is not normal. At the very least you should cop a full display of the beard and I can assure you from experience that they are more than capable of leaving decent scratch marks. I can only wonder if it was still cold and torpid or possibly ill or, as I suggested, previously captive.

Blue

That looks like a P. barbata to me. The spines on top of the head are very similar to those of P. m. minor. It’s the beard and the spines along the edge of the body that are different. Of course adult P. barbata differ in numerous other ways. If the photo renders its true colours, the black beard that is developing is symptomatic of a male. The black throat is typical and the mouth lining and gums will gradually develop a deep yellow colour to them as it matures.

I should have qualified what I said about picking up wild P. barbata. You can get within about two or three metres of an adult and they will bolt off into the undergrowth and suddenly stop. The hatchlings tend to rely more on camouflage. Once they get a bit bigger they too will bolt off but only if there is protective cover to jump into. If they are on an exposed branch with say nothing but dirt underneath, they will tough it out. But if you touch them, they will jump and run. An adult in a tree will move away from you but in my experience they are reluctant to jump.

To not have the animal struggle when picked up is not normal. At the very least you should cop a full display of the beard and I can assure you from experience that they are more than capable of leaving decent scratch marks. I can only wonder if it was still cold and torpid or possibly ill or, as I suggested, previously captive.

Blue

Thanks blue tongue. I will release it this morning before it warms up too much. It must have been cold when we first found it, because it definitely lets us know what's what now.

Barbata... You east coasters need to get out and Herp more that is a stock standard Barbata sub adult

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back