Whacking day coming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no 'humane' way to kill cane toads.... unfortunately.....most people just snot them with a shovel or ise a 3 wood on them, hardly humane.... supposedly the best way is to catch them and put them in the freezer.... not remotely humane (and mum hates finding frozen cane toadw while getting out the fish fingers) so most of the ways people choose are gory and look very painful..... dettol, however.... the toads dont seem to panic or suffer severe pain, they just do a couple of hops and 'switch off' without obvious signs of suffering.... very quick imo.

All methods end with the same result, I personally think dettol appears to be the least 'inhumane' ;) (closely followed by the 'brick technique' :shock:

the alligator dudes (the ones that catch them with a finger under the jaw are crazzzzzy though....
now theres a show , i cant believe the way that guy goes swimming to catch them , he must eat cement for breakfast

Pretty much the same..... a quick spray... they do about 2 hops (flops) and thats where they stay.....they dont panic or seem to be in any distress.... they just stop? Evidently dettol on thier pourous skin makes them expell all of thier water, so it is like instant dehydration..... extremely effective. Thats why I often say to people to be careful what they put on thier reptiles skin (on cuts or abrasians) in case it has the same effect as dettol on a cane toad.

According to the airboaters, there is so many pythons in the everglades, whenever you go out for a ride, you see dozens of them..... they have to be careful with thier dogs on the boats when stationary, snakes have taken smaller dogs off the bow of parked boats :shock: worse if the dog gets off for a swim...

I keep a spray bottle set on squirt with 30% detol 70% water at dad's place so when I come to Brisbane for a visit I grab a torch and do a bit of pest control... it doesn't need to be straight detol, this way is cheaper and just as effective.

I thought detol had the same effect as acid on cane toads, is this true?

It doesn't leave a mark on them but they are stone dead in short order.

I don't have a problem with any attempt to protect the natural environment from a predator. The problem I have is that this is America we are talking about and any licence to take an inch will lead to many taking a mile. Anyone remember the rattle snake round up and how humane those animals were dealt with?

Interesting, I wonder if the acid thing is an urban myth?

Lol I knew you would ask:) there is no acceptable method, but the humane method is a clean blow to the head.

What size brick? Bessa block? or standard brown brick?

I find that smashing them leaves them squirming and blood and guts..... very hard to get a 'kill shot' I have tried 'heel stomping' them and bashing them with different things.... they are very hard to kill outright quickly..... thats why I like the dettol.... I personally think it is fast and effective, and as I said, they dont appear to suffer.... unlike the 'manual methods' ;)

Guys, whilst this content and video may appeal to your sense of humour, cruelty to animals has no place on this forum. Cane toads are a pest and an invasive species and how you deal with them is up to you but if it breaches any animal welfare acts then it should not be posted on a public forum

It's strange how people who love animals become complacent about cane toads. I have witnessed people laughing at cane toads being blown to bits by crackers and when I have stood up and said it's not acceptable they think I'm weird. Cane toads are a problem but they are still a living creature. i would iike them all to die but not in a cruel manner.

Death is cruel no matter how you put it, no one or thing wants to die...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back