Whacking day coming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first moved to Qld, I saw cane toads and quite liked them..... it is unfortunate that they were ever bought here (on purpose, without thought of the consequences)..... It wasnt until I found out how destructive they are towards our natives.... the fact that if one of our wild coastals for example, were to eat one.... the coastal will die too :( Nearly any animal that eats one will die.... only very few animals can eat them and live.....

I know it is not the toads fault they are here, but to protect my local wildlife, I find it neccessary to try to control thier numbers..... I find the most appropriate way is the dettol rather than any violent smashing methods.... it was from the gubbamint advice that I believed that capture and freezing was the 'most acceptable' method, but I dont have a freezer big enough for what I get around here...... If there is a humane method I am keen to hear it, until then, I will keep using dettol....

I actually appologise to them as I spray them, given a choice, I would let live and let live.... but that is not a choice unfortunately.... so alas, they have to go :cry:

Same goes for the big beautiful pythons in the glades..... they too are in the wrong place, mostly due to some sort of human meddling..... they too have to go :(

Your efforts would be better focussed on where they breed. Kill thousands at once.

Yeah, but I have natural dams, to try to control them there, might and prolly will endanger native frogs and things as well.... unfortunately.... otherwise that would be a fantastic idea

When cane toads hatch in water they find the lowest point to leave the water/ billabong. This is the best place to intervene
and stop thousands of them changing from toadlets to actual toads. Indigenous guys are putting cat food at the site where the toadlets come out. The cat food attracts green ants and they eat the toadlets. Not sure about elsewhere if there is an ant or something to mimic what is being done up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back