Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lister169

Reaction score
ok, not into whacking snakes, prefer to leave em, but last night on the balcony this one came at me when i was getting rid of a couple of cane toads.

was too close and cornered me on the end of the balcony in the dark..... I had a shovel...I made one choice...

sorry to post this pic if it offends but if this guy wasnt a danger, i want to know so i dont worry next time I see one and can let him cruise by.

again, I hope not to offend here.

Attachments

• 06042009166.jpg
    06042009166.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 454
  • 06042009167.jpg
    06042009167.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 491
I am often not critical of ppl killing snakes. It's like anything else. I put baits out for wild rats, ppl don't like snakes. All I ask is I hope you killed him and just didn't leave him suffering in pain.

ever heard of standing still??

last time i was cornered by a snake i handed over my cash and it left me alone....

Funny verandah you have there, all covered in gravel..

its was very quick, I dont dislike any animal but cane toads, they kill alot of wildlife round here.

this fella was all over me like stink on a monkey, he had me in his sights.

yes it was a very quick ending.

what is he?

Funny verandah you have there, all covered in gravel..

yeah its the front of the house, 9 metres above the road level, havent paved it yet but railings etc up.

we live on the side of a mountain, and are used to pythons cruising by, goannas, etc, this experience was very different and I dont want to think I took out a harmless bloke.

its was very quick, I dont dislike any animal but cane toads, they kill alot of wildlife round here.

this fella was all over me like stink on a monkey, he had me in his sights.

yes it was a very quick ending.

what is he?

and you just happen to have a shovel handy??

have you upgraded your new shovel gun yet???

" he had me in his sights"

dont be a flaming idiot...

not the greatest pic but i wud say its a keelback and its harmless

With no lights, only a torch .

you guys should be hitting up crime scene wild (or a similar tv show) for a job! but yes I did also notice the very strange looking verandah.

I dont think its a keelback either

lister. Put on your flame suit.
You did what most people would do when you felt like you were in a threatened position, you thought it was it or you. What you may not have thought was that some stage during this ordeal, that snake would have felt the same way you did in order for it to "corner" you. You, maybe without realising, made it feel threatened which made it think, well it's either him or me and there is no other way for me to bail.
I tell most people if you see a snake treat it as dangerous, this doesn't mean grab the shovel and chop it in half, this means respect the snake, don't get close to it or you may accidently scare it into a reaction, no sudden movements and no touching. Let it slither by.
You'll get a lot of people have a go at you for this thread. The reason being is that most snakes wont attack at all. All snakes that do attack do so in defence and even when they do if they know they've intimidated you they'll usually take that to their advantage and scoot off. You may not have felt this way but had you given that snake more of a chance then it more then likely would have left you alone.
Sorry I can't help with the ID but it doesn't look dangerous to me.

Cheers
Mark

what your looking at is a forum of snake people who frown apon people that shovel a snake make a bullshit story and then post pics up to piss people off

if a snake is coming at you you stand still @ 2 metres thats no exactly massive, and unless you where picking up toads with your feet im sure the snake would have just cruised on past

alot of holes to be filled in your story might want to get somethign to fix it

but had you given that snake more of a chance then it more then likely would have left you alone.

Cheers
Mark

good point, Ive never had a wild snake just have a go at me. Actually I even relocated a yellow faced whip snake (obviously not very aggressive) who did try to bite me, but I thought after a cat was trying to kill him he might be in a bad mood.

different species and even individuals have different temperments but in almost every situation the snake would rather bail than bite you. Im convinced that snakes realise theyre likely to come out second best if they do bite.

I just got an email from a handler, slatey grey.

now I really feel like crap.

thanks for your help. I DO need more understanding of the wildlife around here and yes hindsight is a lovely thing. I promise I'll finish the balcony soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back