What amnesty?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterescue

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Just got a call, seems Im the last to know. Today one of our people picked up an albino snake. Around 1.5m. Has tellowish oval markings down its back to 3 bands on the tail. Haven't seen it yet. Any ideas he hasnt had a good look at it as he whipped it out from behind a hot water heater with not much room to spare and it alsmost tagged him. The bag stands up if he touches it.
Peter
ps. its well and truly in the system so if it disappears heads will do the proverbial

sounds a little like an albino kingsnake.... but if thats the case he is a long long way from home

The latest on the shamnesty in nsw is 3 corns and 2 red eared sliders

Ramsayi, i'm guessing you were at the Australian herp meeting tonight aswell?

could be an eastern brown the part with bag standing up S :) :wink: but then again if it was textilis then it prolly would have tagged him

Tagged Him, Doubt it. He picks up quite a few browns out that way.
I get him to assist at the training course.

I am hoping thay it is an albino eastern brown. Would be a nice addition to ARP or such like. No promises
Peter

I just found out what happened to what was probably the first reptile of the NSW part of the amnesty.
Keeping This in mind-
What happens to Surrendered Reptiles?
Every effort will be made to place surrendered animals in zoos or other institutions that can use them for conservation or educational purposes. Reptiles that cannot be placed will be subject to humane euthanasia in accordance with best practice animal welfare standards. (from the website)
It was taken to a vet and euthanaised by NPWS immediately.
Imagine if there was a dog amnesty and you had to prove that your dog arrived here legally or they would kill it. How many people would hand their dog in. Same obviously goes for most exotic owners I guess.
Just a something to mull over.
Peter

What about cats ?
They cause alot of deaths to our native wildlife but they are at least given up to a week to find new homes although the good ones get longer !
They are introduced arent they ?

Im more thinking along the lines that most people have some emotional attachment to their pets. This includes people like us who keep reptiles.
The main flaw in the exotic amnesty is that the government thinks that most exotic herp owners will prefer to see their anumals dead as opposed to a hefty fine.
I have a feeling that they have underestimated those people.
WHat is happening is the to cover up a mess created by subsequent governments they have decided to turn the keepers of exotics into criminals.
Peter
ps. I do not keep exotics.

i know i could never afford 5 yrs jail or $110,000 .if you keep an exotic,then shortly you are a criminal.who cares what government made the mess at last this one is doing something.as far as cats are concerned giving them a week when picked up is a week to long.i spend a lot of time out bush and last year got 634 cats which i am happy to say is the least amount in 9 yrs from the same area.i love cats but they don't belong here either.
just my opinion.

obee

its a bit crap given no-one cares about exotic fish or birds.

instar you are right nobody seems to care about exotic fish or birds and i'am talkin wild populations.i can walk 50 m from my front door and the drains are chocca's full of tilapia.the problem is so bad here they just seem to have given up.indian minahs are plague proportions.
fortunately the amnesty is only for reptiles phantom and not birds.i can't understand why people would want to keep exotics,we are the luckiest country with the most amazing animals on earth i would give up any exotics to keep it that way.
enough damage has already been done.
just my opinion.

obee

its a bit crap given no-one cares about exotic fish or birds.

There are actually quite a few management efforts being conducted at the moment to eradicate populations of exotic fish and birds, for example the Indian mynah bird (flying rats).

how do you deal with exoctic wild pops of fish ? given most species are aquarium fish flushed down the loo or directly released ,what can they possibly do? are indian miners those noisy black ones with yellow beaks? noisy minors?

thats the ones. they are so annoying its not funny. lol

Okay Indian mynahs are the dark brown ones with yellow beaks and yellow around their eyes. They are scavengers and an introduced pest.

Australian miners or Noisy miners are the grey ones with darker gray heads and yellow beaks/yellow around eyes. They are a native species and they are nectivorous (drink nectar from native plants such as grevillea, bottlebrush etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back