Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they sit in trees and catch small birds on the fly .... (very quick stricker)

Last edited:
Emerald Tree Monitor and the other coloured Tree Monitors, Black, Blue and Yellow.
262e9698.jpg

These things would be so awesome to keep. The Emeralds used do be on our species list, but I'm pretty sure they've been taken off now.

Tegu, new caledonia gecko, retics, Italian bearded dragon morphs, ball pythons, chameleon, tuatara, gaboon viper, eyelas viper, albino cobra, hmm that's all I can think of

-Savannah Monitor
-Jackson's Chameleon
-Leopard Geckos
-Red Eyed Croc Skinks

one of my faves! :lol:

Dude--trust me, this is difficult species...

one of my faves! :lol:

Dude--trust me, this is difficult species...

Man o man... Reading you guys lets me know that the world is still a very big place. I am taking care of a rescue Madagascar day gecko right now (bratty but cute). Here in the States, we can get all the Veiled chameleons, leopard geckos, crested geckos, baby boas and horned frogs we want--as well as "Green tree frogs" (WHITE'S tree frogs here) and bearded dragons--at big box pet stores. In the U.S. there is a mix of laws: CITES, the federal endangered species act, state laws, and local health ordinances. For example, I have some CITES bromeliads--fine as long as I don't leave the country. Only an institution could keep a federally recognized endangered species (e.g., the tuatara). Many states do not allow members of an endangered species or its genus; for example, in New York state, one could not keep cb Terrapene (American box turtles), even though they may not be endangered in another state (ease of enforcement?). Finally, there a local health ordinances. In many American cities, one cannot keep any boid, varanid, tegu, iguana or crocodilian (as well as any venomous reptiles, big cats, primates, livestock or raptors).

As for availability, there is good ol supply and demand: In the U.S., beardies can start at $60-80 USD, a blue tongue skink (we never say blue tongue lizard), $100-150, an ackie (we never say goanna, either), $250-350. Your "green" tree frogs--even the blue phase--are a pet store staple, going for $20-30. New Guinea frilled dragons (we call virtually all your agamines "dragons") are $100-150, way cheaper than Aussie frillies.

But a shingleback skink? a woma? These can go well over a grand ($1000 USD) (Other small monitors, e.g., Blue tail, Pilbara, Storrs, can go $400-600; same with many Egernia species, except the land mullet).

The reason we have Australian water dragons (we often say "Chinese" and "Australian" WD, rather than green or brown), is because of a man named Bert Langerwerf. A Dutch born herpetologist, he bred over 17, 000 of them in Alabama (see avatar).

Now, what I'd give for a Gonocephalus--or Hypsilurus--or a shingleback--or 1.1 Litoria chloris... (Okay, so I wouldn't give that much--I just want them... )

Or a she-oak skink...

I guess it's time to save up for a pink tongue and not tell sis...

Last edited:
Boas and anacondas seem pretty cool but my most favourite would have to be the red tegu or the savannah monitor

Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

When the iridescence scales shine, the colours of the rainbow seem alive! there's nothing like it...:)

770c3684-f0ee-de28.jpg

770c3684-ed6c-c337.jpg
770c3684-ed80-54ce.jpg

770c3684-f0c1-91c1.jpg

P.S. perhaps this one too:
770c3684-ee0e-597a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think i just found my new favourite exotic lizard. Coolest lizard i have seen. The Sailfin Dragon (images from google)

sailfin-dragon-500.jpgjoxerfin.jpg

Living in the states we are fortunate enough to own and keep just about anything. Well in my state at least. Between my girlfriend, her brother and myself, we keep many of the "exotics" that y'all want. Regular BCI and BCC are common over here, so common that the locality is almost nil. They have been bred and crossed with so many other boas its not even funny.

Hognose are anywhere from $60 to $15,000 USD. Cornsnakes and Kingsnakes can be found for $20-$25 at reptile shows. Same with normal Royals. I managed to get my Woma as a gift, he was under $200. However BHP's here start at $800. Olives, Bredli, Water and almost any other Aussie python start out at $150. I've found albino Darwins for $2,500.

If I could trade yinz some I would. Hell, if you could ship me some Id be happy to pay. Thing is, by the time that happened, I could just get a CBB here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back