What blue mountains snake is that?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dingodan

Reaction score
Hi I recently saw this snake in the Blue Mountains of NSW.

It was a decent sized snake, brown in colour and had orange-ish diamonds on it's side?

Does anyone know what breed it is and if so anything about it, i.e poisonous?

I have attached a photo, but it's not that great!

Cheers
Dingo Dan;)

mysterysnake.jpg

lol some sort of elapidae or coloubridae ?

So to clarify, what are elapidae and coloubridae's? Types of snakes?

Elapidae, venomous front fanged snakes.

Colubridae, rear fanged snakes.

It's an elapid... the family containing browns, blacks, copperheads etc.

I'd go with Red Belly Black.

Your 100% right, i checked out some images and that was definitely it!

Sorry but does that mean anything that's not an elapidae is a colubridae. So are pythons and boa's colurbridaes or are there others types as well.

Pythons are from the pythonidae family, boas depending on what species are from the boidae family.

Elapidae is the latin name for Elapids, which have fixed fangs in the front of their mouth and include most of Aus' snakes including all of its highly venomous land snakes. Colubridae is the latin term for Colubrids, which cover a range of different morphological sorts including aglyphous (no fangs) and opisthoglyphous (rear fanged) snakes. Pythons are separate, they're in the family Pythonidae. To me that looks like a dark coloured Lowland Copperhead. I've never seen one in person but I've caught plenty of Red-bellied Blacks and to me it's not a red-belly. Both are elapids and are quite vwnomous and considered potentially dangerous.

I'm pretty sure Pythonidae is the generally accepted Family for the pythons now and is distinguished from Boidae.

I thought Pythoninae was a subfamily of boidae. But i have not kept up to date with trends in taxonomy.
So if it has generally been elevated, i stand corrected.

Last edited:
I thought Pythoninae was a subfamily of boidae. But i have not kept up to date with trends in taxonomy.

Depends on who you listen to, but i think the general consensus is that they are separate families.

No friend request for you!

But i have not kept up to date with trends in taxonomy.

Current taxonomy is certainly that pythons are Pythonidae, and Boas Boaidae.
Sorry but does that mean anything that's not an elapidae is a colubridae. So are pythons and boa's colurbridaes or are there others types as well.
Other snake families include

Typhlopidae
Viperidae
Homolopsidae
etc just google it I'm sure there are lists somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back