What Did I See?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treva

Reaction score
Unfortunately I had no camera with me but hope someone can help with an ID. On the road just outside my driveway there was a very large snake, about 2 metres and quite fat. It had a very small jet black head and the body was pale yellow or buff with reddish "zig zag" markings, similar to what you would see on the belly of an Eastern Brown in colour but they went completely around the body. The snake was very aggressive and wanted to have a piece of our 4x4. This was about 7:30AM in the Capricornia area of Queensland.

Given your description and the location I'd say that it's highly likely to have been a Black Headed Python (Aspidites melanocephalus).

Did it look anything like this?

Aspidites-melanocephalus-03000027613_01.jpg

Cheers,

George.

Yes, quite a bit although I am a bit surprised that a python would be so aggressive and want to take on a 4x4. This one was very fat, maybe a big female ready to produce a batch of youngsters?

Black headed pythons are often not as dangerous as other species, it could have been the pregnancy forcing her to act that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back