Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty62

Reaction score
A friend had a snake dragged in by his cat it appears to me to be a Golden Crown Snake but we are located in Nowra on the South Coast 3 hours south of Sydney. The snake is in my care now and I was hopping to release it back into the wild but where??? The people that found it had been away to the Gold Coast a month or so ago, so could have hitched a ride? Here are a few pick of the snake in question.....

Attachments

• IMG_9715.JPG
    IMG_9715.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9716.JPG
    IMG_9716.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9738.JPG
    IMG_9738.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9744.JPG
    IMG_9744.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9748.JPG
    IMG_9748.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 139
[h=2]Borrowed from another site,might help you

Significance to Humans:[/h]Weakly venomous
Possible Danger. All crowned snakes are reluctant biters. They will rear up in bluff display & may 'mock strike' with mouth closed. The Golden Crowned is the largest Crowned snake & will bite if highly provoked. As with any snake bite apply correct first aid and seek medical attention.

[h=2]General description:[/h]Grayish-brown to dark brown with salmon to orange belly with mid line of black spots. 'Crown' of parallel creamy-yellow or paler yellow-brown single stripe starting at snout & sweeping back either side of face and along neck, generally across eyes. Crown does not form band across nape of neck. May be incorrectly identified as a small Red Bellied Black Snake. Midbody scales at 15 rows.

[h=2]Average Length:[/h]50cm but specimens to 90cm are known.

[h=2]Habitat in SE Qld:[/h]Rainforest, and sheltered, moist areas within open forest eg; creek lines amongst litter, rocks, logs etc. Wherever good, lush ground cover prevails.

[h=2]General habits:[/h]Nocturnal

[h=2]Diet:[/h]Lizards such as skinks and their eggs. Also small frogs.

[h=2]Local distribution:[/h]Generally restricted to moister suburbs or homes near well vegetated riparian margins.

[h=2]Around the home:[/h]Under compost, logs and stones in well-vegetated gardens Compost heaps, moist garden areas with abundant leaf-litter, and around rockeries provide ideal habitat.

[h=3]Distribution[/h]The Golden-crowned Snake is found on the east coast and adjacent ranges, from central New South Wales to south-eastern Queensland, preferring deep forest in the north of its range. In the south, it can be found in sandstone areas, being more common in the northern parts of Sydney.
A related species is the Dwarf Crowned Snake, Cacophis krefftii, which is much smaller (25 cm), with a dark-grey to black body and a cream to yellow hood over the nape of its neck. This species ranges from the central coast of New South Wales to south-eastern Queensland, and does not occur in Sydney.

I think the snake will be fine with a bit of rest and a feed or 2, just not shaw where to release it or what to do with it. I know I cant keep it but if I release it on the South Coast will it survive.....

Contact your local Fauna Rescue (what it is called in SA) or like organisation and they will usually arrange for it to be taken back to its home range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back