What do you do with uneaten rodents?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggster

Reaction score
Unthawed a pair of rat fuzzies and a mouse for my two snake- the older one is a consistent feeder and just shed last week and already taken one feed the day after. The other snake I got a week ago and thought it would be best to feed him.

well imagine my suprise when I noticed my older snakes eyes all blue! And of course the new guy decided he would rather strangle his food than eat it!

I used to chuck out my uneaten rodents to my chickens, but now the rodents are too big for the chickens to eat whole!

rather than throw them all out, I gave them to the dog- she loved them.

so what do you guys do with uneaten rodents?

Small food items like that thaw quickly in warm water, so they don't decay much as they're thawing. If they're not eaten within an hour, I'd refreeze them. If the thawing process is slow - overnight perhaps, they will begin to decay so it's up to you whether you throw them out. Remember that snakes which eat large food items have them rotting in their stomachs for several days before the digestive juices take full control, so they don't need to be human food-grade for snake food.

Jamie

I gift wrap mine and hand them out to all the kiddies on Halloween.

Or you could throw them to the crows if you dont mind a murder happening in your backyard. ;-)

If any of ours refuse the prey, we re-freeze it; if they take it, but then don't eat it, we toss it out if it's been in the enclosure for a while.

Chuck em on the bull ant nest..30 minutes and you have a nice clean skeleton.

There are many uses:

You can eat one for YouTube money
You can hide them in people's sandwich
You can scare away annoying people/relatives
AND BEST OF ALL they make great Christmas decorations

occasionally Im half hammered while defrosting rats and i forget that im doing it and wake up like ohhh i forgot... i just throw them up.. not worth the risk.. pretty sure monitors would be ok with them tho

occasionally Im half hammered while defrosting rats and i forget that im doing it and wake up like ohhh i forgot... i just throw them up.. not worth the risk.. pretty sure monitors would be ok with them tho

Throw them up? After you've been hammered? Does that only apply to the rats you've eaten?

Jamie

haha well sometimes the smell is just too enticing hahah

If the moment is right my other snake will always cop one for the team, being a woma python she never likes to refuse the opportunity... otherwise the other piglet in our house (the wannabee panther, little black cat) is always waiting in the shadows with much anticipation...:twisted:

Hah - If you have left over rodents, you don't have enough pythons!

We have 4 snakes and never any leftover food :)

Hah - If you have left over rodents, you don't have enough pythons!

We have 4 snakes and never any leftover food :)

Got a Woma about a month ago.
lets just say I don't have any leftover rodents any more xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back