What do you feed your adult spotties?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armand

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just interested to hear what people feed their adult spotted pythons? Mine is around 1m and a little thicker than a 10c coin.. I'm feeding him larger fuzzy rats but he takes them easy.

What are some bigger foods suitable for these sanakes?

I feed mine weaned rats... So basically when there eyes are open and there running around eating solid food..
Its amazing seeing a little head get something that big down..

Mickey is 1.3m long and on Juvy rats,from strike to finish in 5 min

Basil is 9 years old and 1.2 m long. He likes small rats. Yours sounds like it could handle weanling rats.

Really, weaner rats? They are massive though? Something a 1.4m carpet would eat! I'll have a look around cause I think the weaners at my pet shop are a little big than the average ones! Could anyone post a pic of their snake feeding or a rat in comparison to something?

Thanks for the feedback though!!

Really, weaner rats? They are massive though? Something a 1.4m carpet would eat! I'll have a look around cause I think the weaners at my pet shop are a little big than the average ones! Could anyone post a pic of their snake feeding or a rat in comparison to something?

Thanks for the feedback though!!

A weaner rat would average 50-60 grams in weight, You snake would handle that with ease

Most of our adult Macs take 60-70gm rats with one large female taking 120gm rats.

Last edited:
Here's Basil eating a small rat just now. He's a big boy at 9 years old. I held a tape measure in for comparison. He feeds in a tub because he lives with a female and I like to avoid altercations.
DSC03847.jpg

DSC03851.jpg

DSC03854.jpg

I was told that Ants shouldn't have really huge meals like carpets. Has anyone else heard this before?

A weaner rat would average 50-60 grams in weight, You snake would handle that with ease

Most of our adult Macs take 60-70gm rats with one large female taking 120gm rats.

I will have a look and see the weight of the rats I am feeding him now.. Weaners will be a massive stretch for him.

Another question.. A lady came into work the other day, said her carpet python ate a large rat (well tried to), n it tore some of the skin just behind it's head. No blood was confirmed visible.. I'm just curious, but are snakes not smart enough to stop trying when they realize their foods too big, or would they just try until they get hurt?

Yeah there's the famous pictures of the rock python (?) eating massive meal and splitting its sides. I think if they can kill it they will try to eat it

They will eat meals which are too big. There was a member on this forum a year or so ago who proudly fed a massively oversized prey item to his snake and posted photos. Unfortunately, the snake died the next day. Whatever you feed should not leave a massively outsized lump in the animal. If you stick to 10-20% of the snake's bodyweight, you will be fine. My spotted has no problem with the small rats, but rat weight and size varies with supplier. He also eats fortnightly at best. Weigh the prey, weigh the snake, work from those values.

Thanks guys, yeah i wasnt sure if she really knew what she was talkin about..

It is true that the sizes differ with companies, I think that the weaner rats I am looking at can be easily classified as small-medium sized rats from other breeders. But I will go and get it weighed.

Thanks greatly for everyones input and help!

My 3.5 yr old 1.3m female smashes 140 g rats no worries, she only gets fed monthly tho.

Yeah my boys about 3yrs and a little over a kg . . I feed him sub adult rats about once a fortnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back