What do you guys use to Freight?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabotinage

Reaction score
I mean with like AAE they say a wooden box do you guys go out and buy it or make it? can you recommend me what to use and where to get it?

Also any tips to keep reptiles safer would also be great

We pack ours in a bag, inside a lightweight wooden box and then inside a esky type cooler box ( depending on the size of the snake )
Have had no problems as yet.
We alway try to write on the outside of the esky box exactly how they are packed so that AAE will know as well...

In saying that, we have received some snakes in just in a sock in a small plastic container - not exactly safe...

We made the small wooden boxes our selves no problem at all. They are not exactly perfect - but do the job...

Another thing to remember is the size of the box - the bigger it is the more it is going to cost to freight and of course the weight....

Alot of freighting reptiles is just common sense....

Its not that hard actually......

my shinglebacks arrived in a click clack type container well secured with ties, the shingles themselves were in a calico bag (apparently thats important now, they wouldnt ship them without being in a calico bag in the container) and the space was filled with shredded paper so they wouldnt bounce around.

my shinglebacks arrived in a click clack type container well secured with ties, the shingles themselves were in a calico bag (apparently thats important now, they wouldnt ship them without being in a calico bag in the container) and the space was filled with shredded paper so they wouldnt bounce around.

We have gotten pythons and knobbies and thats how ours have arrived, all safe and sound :D

All my animals have arrived in calico bags, padded with shredded paper, inside sistema tubs. All have arrived safe.

In considering packaging you need to remember that what you do may impact on the future carrying of reptiles by AAE. The intent is that the outer package be crush resistant and that the inner package be escape proof. You also need to consider ventilation making sure that there is not a direct path for cold air to blow on the animal. I know of animals received in a bag inside a box with large ventilation holes. The animals were dead on arrival. I believe the box was placed in line of the air conditioning air flow blowing through the holes onto and through the bag. The hatchlings inside the bag froze.

. You also need to consider ventilation making sure that there is not a direct path for cold air to blow on the animal. I know of animals received in a bag inside a box with large ventilation holes. The animals were dead on arrival. I believe the box was placed in line of the air conditioning air flow blowing through the holes onto and through the bag. The hatchlings inside the bag froze.

This may have also been due to the cargo hold not being pressurised and/or heated. Things get pretty cold at 36,000 feet. I know it has happened a few times when freighting animals on planes. QANTAS froze some prized deer once. They are big bodied warm blooded animals, so you can imagine how quickly a hatchling snake would succumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back