What does HET T+ mean for snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MouseNo4

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I know it has something to do with albinism, but that the actual letters mean, i dont know.

It means tyrosinase positive

@Sdaji could explain it better probably, why people say t+ and not just albino in regards to Stimson in particular
[doublepost=1571379478,1571379356][/doublepost]Here’s a picture of a T+ albino from 2017

DA301882-5C60-4420-A4D9-72D849B73650.jpeg

T+ is a type of albinism, sort of a lesser form of it. Having said that, many morphs of so-called T+ are actually just hypomelanistics. Absurdly, many different mutations in the same species often get given this same label.

Het is short for heterozygous.

Het T+ animals can be used.to make 'T+ albinoes' but these shouldn't be confused with 'normal' (full/classic) albinoes.

Well, when i was choosing my new pet, i held two to see which one i preferred.

The first one that i held, was quite a bit darker than the second one, but he was very much not happy. Striking and biting me (even before i held it) and striking at the air. The second one i held, was much more curious, placid and decided to explore around the area, including trying to reach my face with his head. The second one was not as pale as the one pictured above, but was quite a bit lighter in colour than the first.

The second one is the one i took home and i was told it was a HET T+ Stimson's.

The first one that i held, was quite a bit darker than the second one, but he was very much not happy. Striking and biting me (even before i held it) and striking at the air. The second one i held, was much more curious, placid and decided to explore around the area, including trying to reach my face with his head. The second one was not as pale as the one pictured above, but was quite a bit lighter in colour than the first.

Sorry I just realised I missed the whole Het part, it just means it carries the genes so one of the parents probably looked like the one i posted

Yours will just look like a normal Stimson python (to an extent) unless it’s showing a visual gene

If you pair yours with another HET or animal like the one I posted, they will produce some babies like the ones I posted and some that look like yours :)

Het T+ Stimson's are still reasonably expensive, it's an unusual choice for a first snake, but it won't affect it in any way.

There are at least 2 different 'T+' mutations in Stimson's pythons. Most likely yours is the one pictured above (the prettiest of all Antaresia T+) assuming it is a Stimson's.

Het T+ Stimson's are still reasonably expensive, it's an unusual choice for a first snake, but it won't affect it in any way.

There are at least 2 different 'T+' mutations in Stimson's pythons. Most likely yours is the one pictured above (the prettiest of all Antaresia T+) assuming it is a Stimson's.
What do you mean, unusual? Stimson's pythons are generally regarded as one of the best first pythons for Australia.

I chose mine based on the fact that the other choice was too aggressive at choosing time and i didnt like that.

What do you mean, unusual? Stimson's pythons are generally regarded as one of the best first pythons for Australia.

I chose mine based on the fact that the other choice was too aggressive at choosing time and i didnt like that.
I think he means It like
A Het T+ Visually looks like a normal stimson (with some variability between individuals like you said one was lighter) however it carries the T+ gene which you can’t see yet untill you breed it out, so you probably paid about x times the amount (I’m not aware of het T+ prices at the moment) where a regular Stimson, that doesn’t carry the gene goes for about 80-100$

So you being a new keeper and probably not planning on breeding, it’s a weird choice to get an animal carrying a gene you can’t see, unless you breed it with another het t+ in future

Do you have a picture? :)

I think he means It like
A Het T+ Visually looks like a normal stimson (with some variability between individuals like you said one was lighter) however it carries the T+ gene which you can’t see yet untill you breed it out, so you probably paid about x times the amount (I’m not aware of het T+ prices at the moment) where a regular Stimson, that doesn’t carry the gene goes for about 80-100$

So you being a new keeper and probably not planning on breeding, it’s a weird choice to get an animal carrying a gene you can’t see, unless you breed it with another het t+ in future

Do you have a picture? :)

This.

I don't have a high quality picture as he is a recluse. I literally have to take his hide away to be able to see him.

I find it weird to see a price of $80-100 when i paid $450 and the other one was $350. Both had that T+ thing labelled on their enclosures. Though it was worded a bit differently. The price isnt that much of a big deal, as i see it in terms of value of the lifespan of a pet. $50 for a couple months is just bad. $50 over years is great value. The difference between $100 and $400 over 15+ years is negligible.

In all honesty, the shop only had those two Stimson's on display but noted that they had a large amount of stock. So my guess would be that they had their most expensive ones on display, with their basic pythons out back in storage. I just assumed $350-450 was actually the normal price.

350-450 is the normal price (maybe a bit higher because pet stores have to turn a profit) for a het t+

What I’m trying to say is unless you’re planning to breed, there’s no difference between the ones you bought and a normal 80-100$ wild type

If you do plan on breeding and manage to pop some of the ones like I posted, in 2017 that particular one sold for $2,800
But they go for roughly 850~ now in that bright orange

But as long as you’re happy with your new baby, that’s the most important bit!

350-450 is the normal price (maybe a bit higher because pet stores have to turn a profit) for a het t+

What I’m trying to say is unless you’re planning to breed, there’s no difference between the ones you bought and a normal 80-100$ wild type

If you do plan on breeding and manage to pop some of the ones like I posted, in 2017 that particular one sold for $2,800
But they go for roughly 850~ now in that bright orange

But as long as you’re happy with your new baby, that’s the most important bit!
Well... i am kind of annoyed that regardless of time of day - morning, daytime, evening or even in the middle of the night... he never leaves his hide! I think i have spotted him outside of his hide maybe for a few minutes a DAY.

I have gotten into the habit of shining a torch into his hide... just to confirm i still do have a snake at all.

Well... i am kind of annoyed that regardless of time of day - morning, daytime, evening or even in the middle of the night... he never leaves his hide! I think i have spotted him outside of his hide maybe for a few minutes a DAY.

I have gotten into the habit of shining a torch into his hide... just to confirm i still do have a snake at all.
They are nocturnal so only really come out at night

They’re tiny, so that’s another reason

And they need to settle into a new environment

It's a snake, that's what most snakes do most of the time :) After a while some captive snakes will be comfortable enough to rest out in the open and you'll see their behaviour change depending on age, sex, time of year, enclosure design and husbandry methods, but a Stimson's python typically spends most of its time tightly stuffed into as small a space as it can get itself into in rock crevices, safe from predators and extreme weather.

They are nocturnal so only really come out at night

They’re tiny, so that’s another reason

And they need to settle into a new environment
As i said, he wont even come out at night. I work varying hours. Meaning all day, or really early starts like 330am. So i have looked in on him at various times, from around sunset 7pm until midnight and when i get up to go to work at 3.30am. I almost never see him outside of his hide.

As i said, he wont even come out at night. I work varying hours. Meaning all day, or really early starts like 330am. So i have looked in on him at various times, from around sunset 7pm until midnight and when i get up to go to work at 3.30am. I almost never see him outside of his hide.

It's a baby snake. Look at the size of it, look at the size of you. If you knew where a wild baby snake was living and you went anywhere near it, especially if you were behaving in a way which the snake interpreted as you trying to catch it, the snake would flee to whatever it thought was the safest place before you could see it (unless you very carefully snuck up on it). But most of the time it would be hiding anyway.

It's a baby snake. Look at the size of it, look at the size of you. If you knew where a wild baby snake was living and you went anywhere near it, especially if you were behaving in a way which the snake interpreted as you trying to catch it, the snake would flee to whatever it thought was the safest place before you could see it (unless you very carefully snuck up on it). But most of the time it would be hiding anyway.
Then how long before I starts to consider me as not a threat?

No one can really answer that, all snakes are different

If I had to guess and you left it completely alone, no torches, no staring into the tub, no handling, id say atleast a month before she settles in pretty well

One thing I found helpful for my snake was to cover their tub with a towel or something to cover all sides, I left enough of a gap for them to get some light during the day

No one can really answer that, all snakes are different

If I had to guess and you left it completely alone, no torches, no staring into the tub, no handling, id say atleast a month before she settles in pretty well

One thing I found helpful for my snake was to cover their tub with a towel or something to cover all sides, I left enough of a gap for them to get some light during the day
Wow.... that is disappointing. I guess it is good that i am leaving for a 3 week holiday on November 1st and my sister is going to be taking care of it (lol!). He is extremely low maintenance which is really good. Offer food and change water weekly. That is pretty much it.

Being away for 3 weeks allows me the chance to not be bothered by the fact that he pretty much ignores me anyway.

Wow.... that is disappointing. I guess it is good that i am leaving for a 3 week holiday on November 1st and my sister is going to be taking care of it (lol!). He is extremely low maintenance which is really good. Offer food and change water weekly. That is pretty much it.

Being away for 3 weeks allows me the chance to not be bothered by the fact that he pretty much ignores me anyway.

The truth is unfortunately, snakes aren’t a social animal, they don’t “enjoy” being handled and touched like cats and dogs

And ultimately they don’t love you the same way a cat and dog does

But they are great animals, lots to learn from their behaviours!and as you said very low maintenance

Just before u leave, ensure your temps are stable and can’t be messed with, and you offer it plent of water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back