what happened to the exotics?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've noticed a few times on here people talking about how in Australia you used to be able to keep exotics, like retics and I think squirrels? A long time ago.
So, if this is true, what happened to the exotics once the Australian government implemented the natives only rule?
Were the exotics killed/confiscated ect?

There was an amnesty

Too add:
I believe there was rules such as desexing mammals and not breeding anything, or transferring ownership, so once those animals expired or couldn't be cared for by original owners who declared them that was it.
(Assuming you're referring to much earlier amnesties when the laws first came into effect vs recent ones)

There was an amnesty

Too add:
I believe there was rules such as desexing mammals and not breeding anything, or transferring ownership, so once those animals expired or couldn't be cared for by original owners who declared them that was it.
(Assuming you're referring to much earlier amnesties when the laws first came into effect vs recent ones)

Thanks for clearing that up, it seems like it would've been hard to import any exotics, sounds like even then there were a lot of laws around it. I was picturing something more like america where they can just order animals from other countries.
So with the amnesty, those who had the exotics could keep them until they died, but not get anymore? Then eventually all the exotics died off, and no more could be imported?

CITES or (The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) didn't come into being till 1973.
And even then appendix 1 only restricted trade in about 1200 species, mainly Lions, Tigers and the like. It wasn't till appendix 2 came along (in the early 1980's I think it was) that tighter controls started being enforced around the pet trade reducing the flow of wild animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back