Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noidea

Reaction score
hey everyone just wondering just found a snake unfortunatley somebody got him poor bugger any way not quite sure what it is. its browny black on top yellow underneath i thought perhaps a tree snake other half says a brown but it doesnt have spots on its belly any ideas. and sorry i dont have a photo

yep north queensland has heeps of yellow belly's so thats what I would suguest I grew up with my rellies killing venomous snakes and they always killed mostly yellow belly's, browns and king's. so got used to seeing what they look like and it sounds like a yellow belly to me.

unfortunitly most beople think a good snake is a dead one even if there driving which is a big shame seeing they can't hurt you wile your in your car. its a dam shame.

Probably a common/green tree snake(also known as a yellow belly black) although its hard to say without pics. The are completely harmless but to their demise the look very similar to dangerous snakes.

I always was told that the yellow belly blacks where venomouse, god it would of helped if my family wasn't scared of them and out to kill anything and everything in site.

One of the vens is also referred to as a yellow bellied black snake. The joys of common names.

Without a photo or more thorough description, it is impossible to give you a 100% ID on your animal. It sounds like the snake is likely to be a water python.

One of the vens is also referred to as a yellow bellied black snake. The joys of common names.

What is it?

As you point out common names are often useless, i could even call my spencers monitor a blue tounge lizrd if i wanted to :lol:

there is NO such snake in australia as a yellow bellied black snake, yet all around oz people talk of this fabled creature. Many australian snakes however can be black with a yellow belly, ie commone trees, water pythons, common browns, tiger snakes- mainland, tasmainian and the bass straigth islands, copperheads just to name a few of the more common ones encounted that get called yellow bellied blacks. No such snake as a yellow bellied black snake.

there is NO such snake in australia as a yellow bellied black snake, yet all around oz people talk of this fabled creature. Many australian snakes however can be black with a yellow belly, ie commone trees, water pythons, common browns, tiger snakes- mainland, tasmainian and the bass straigth islands, copperheads just to name a few of the more common ones encounted that get called yellow bellied blacks. No such snake as a yellow bellied black snake.

Your such a spoil-sport !!!!
I suppose that you dodn't believe in the fairy godmother or the tooth-fairy either .

Its fairly simple, whatever ppl want to call a snake is its common name, unless there are some guidelines about common names that im not aware of.

well actaually chris their common name is a reconised name, but this is just a fable name that covers many different snakes from all around the country, in other words a load of rubbish.

Could have given me a chance to say it lol. Anyway as trueblue has mentioned there are many species that can have those colourations

It is like trees, if you don't know what species it is...it is a japanese maple! LOL

hey thanks for all the id's it is in fact a tree snake poor bugger neighbours said a couple of teenagers got it wish i had have got to them first. by the way just thought i'd say i got a great anniversary pressie from the hubby today absolutly beautiful coastal so happy:D
well thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back