What is the best heat source?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahg

Reaction score
We are new parents to a 3 month old Spotty.

I made a rookie error and have bought a heat mat for glass but the bottom of the tank is metal. I have attached the heat mat to the side because of this.

Is this ok or do I need a more radiant or direct heat source?

If i need to change it what do you recommend? I would rather a different heat mat or heat rock than a bulb. What do you think?

Photo attached to show set up. As he is small he stays in the smaller box near the heat mat and we let him out to explore also.

Thanks for your help!

8C961C12-5BCC-422D-9015-2CEF75A8F2E4.jpeg

Why can't you put it under the tank?
They are designed to go underneath which is why they put the stands on it, to give the mat air flow. The way you have it doesn't provide a "basking spot" more so just hot air or it has to lean up against the mat.

Tub inside a tank is pretty much useless and should be by itself (add a piece of dowel in the little tub for climbing) Its also very baron for a 3mth old. If you want to keep it in the tub , that's fine

but the tank will need a lot more hides or u will never see him (he will be too busy hiding from potential predators)

Heat rocks are a snaking burn waiting to happen. They are poorly manufactured with uneven amounts of material leading to some parts getting hotter than others

EDIT: Cant help but notice there's no temperature gauge probe? do you have a heat gun perhaps? Hows the thermostat?

Thanks for all that!

It turns out I’m an idiot! The floor is colored glass not metal . So I have moved the mat under. That should solve the belly heat issue! It’s around 28degrees in the warm spot so still might need to up the heat a bit more with a bigger mat..especially in winter.

I have a lot more things for hiding to put in but don’t have the space with the box in there.

The little fella is actually on top of the temp gauge (left top corner). It’s measuring around 24 where he is.

Last edited:
Too cold! Particularly considering its summer. A glass tank like that will change temperature with every breeze as it has very little thermal mass or insulation.

I actually came to this thread just for a laugh based on the title. (Was going to offer some heart felt thoughts on the matter lol)

Everything that needs to be said in response has been said but, my 2 bobs worth...........;
Glass enclosure, Too many problems to list in a short response.
Heat source. Everyone likes something different. You dont like light globes but I do. You like heat mats and everyone on here knows my thoughts on the things.
Heat Rocks. Worse than heat mats. Should be banned without question.

To get your temps up put some insulation around that glass box to stop the heat escaping. If its one of those with the mesh lid you can partially cover the mesh with a towel for example. Polystyrene around the outside of 3 sides should be sufficient.

Invest in a non contact thermometer for checking hot spot temps. That temp gauge where it is is pretty useless. Its not going to give you anything other than air temp. You need to know the temp directly above the heat mat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back