what is the best kind of dragon/lizard to get

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

galeru

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all, i was wondering what was the best kind of dragon/lizard was best to get and if anyone has any for sale. preferably small.

the one you have set your enclosure up to house properly

theres no easy answer,look into different species and there needs,theres lots of small agamids that do well in captivity,have u got a cage set up yet,what size is encloure,what temps have u set up in it,does it have uvb lighting and do you have a ready supply of insects ect it will need to be fed

what is your setup like first? size of the enclosure, heating, UV, substrate...do you want an adult, hatchie, juvie or sub adult?

there were a few handy threads started in the lizard section comparing all different types. i found them really informative, maybe have a look at those

i don't have a cage yet but am just making some enquires

Get what you want so long as you do your homework properly on what you are getting & the proper housing & feeding requirements.
That way you have what YOU want & will enjoy.

Cheers
Ian

i would recommend central netted dragons or pygmy bearded dragons! but like everyone has said, do a bit of research first as to what each species requirements are.

I would recommend a Komodo Dragon, nah just kidding.
I reckon a Beardie is great, preferably Central or Pygmy. Also Blue Tongues and Shinglebacks are popular as well.
As everyone has said before me, it depends on what you are interested in also what your budget is as some of the lizards can be expensive.
I chose a Central Beardie as a first pet, I have only had him 3 weeks but I do not regret it at all.

If you're looking for a small species and just do a bit of research into the husbandry requirements I'd recommend a painted dragon, they are small and beautiful looking lizards. Pygmy bearded dragons are another option probably cheaper but their colours aren't as striking. The best thing you can do is find some species you like, make a short list, and then look into if theres anything specific that you will need to ensure that particular species requires. Lizards do make excellent pets and I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy whatever species you do decide to keep.

bearded dragon.
If want a smaller dragon get a pygmy.
if you want a bigger one, that you can get in different colours get a central bearded dragon.
get your enclosure set up before getting a lizard, you can pick them up cheap on ebay. (tanks/enclosures that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back