What is the HARDEST herp to care for?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the HARDEST herp to care for?

• Lizards

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Snakes

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Turtles

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Frogs

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Recently the well disputed topic amongst herpers came to my mind- What is the HARDEST herp to care for? I am interested in knowing your opinion as owners! I would like you to include Lizards, Snakes, Turtles and Frogs!

Thanks,
James

in general it wouldn't be lizards but the thorny devil would be hell to look after

So do you mean of the broad topics you posted?
I'd think turtles out of them. They have the difficulties or herps as well as fish with the water requirement. I guess it depends what you mean by difficult too though

Thorny Devils should be an option in the poll

does any one keep Ramphotyphlops Gecks?
Not that I know of, they are too bloody hard and you never see them anyway.

They only eat ants! They can eat a whole colony in one sitting!
They can eat many ants in one sitting but not whole colonies of the species they prey upon. The ants they eat have massive colony sizes per volume because of their size and also have an extraordinary rate of growth to the effect that 1 colony of ants could support a single devil as long as the colony continued to function properly. So really you just need to be able to keep 2-3 colonies per devil you keep and you could keep these guys, the ant colonies wouldn't even take that much space a 100L container or so, it takes a lot more space to get them to properly form lines and thus be appropriate for the devils to eat though.

Tyranosauruses. They're a bitch to incubate.

Sorry, all the good answers were taken

Why are Ramphotyphlops so hard to keep?

They live underground 95% of their life, they eat ant or termite larvea, ants or termites and their larvae quickly die if removed from colony. They have problems with humidity but no specific safe level is known. And if you managed to set up a ant colony with the ability for the snake to move from area to area to regulate its humidity and have a food source. They would never come out of it. Oh and they smell.

My stegasaur always gets caught up in the clothesline and the 16kg poos are hard to deal with too.

:lol: Cleaning up the buffalo crap at work has nothing on that steg Steve :D

I'd say turtles. Especially pig noses- SO. MUCH. POO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back