What is this Diamond doing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeypython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Another little contribution :) I think I have mastered the resizeing of photos after a few helpful tips :)

I was out at St Albans (Wisemans Ferry) last weekend and saw this Diamond on the side of the road. It was already dead but I found it unusual that it looked as though it was biting itself?? The second picture is just of its markings.

Any thoughts on why it might be biting itself and does it look fat to anyone?

Maybe it was biting itself to get rid of the ants that were attacking it's wound (when it was still alive)?

Looks a bit fat, maybe it had eggs? If you are gross like me and like disecting things, you could see if it had eggs?

My guess is that it was fatefully injured, couldn't move most of it's body and then had ants start to finish it off, the snake might of turned around and using the only tool it could, it's mouth, tried to get the ants off, then it lost it's battle for life and died in that position.

Either that or it just got run over high up toward the neck, and instinctively struck out at the offending object and missed and struck itself, then couldn't release it's teeth and died rather quickly, I hope for the snakes sake it was this one rather than being eaten alive by ants!

Looked in good condition apart from the obvious! Poor snake!

Neil

IMO i think it was being attack by something else. The bite to itself was an attack at its predator, but it hit itself instead. Sometimes you will see a snake in captivity do that when they strike at a rat or something. Espically if they are jumpy and another part of its body touches itself.

that use to be a nice looking dimond btw i have no thery on y it is bitting it self but ncherps has a good thery so ill go with that
craig

maybe he knew he was going to pass, and thought 'that bites' heheh bad joke over there <---

It's a reflex action. Snakes will always bite themselves when the have been seriously injured such as being hit by a car. Simple as that.

It looks fat because a dead animal bloats.

What

serpenttongue said:
It's a reflex action. Snakes will always bite themselves when the have been seriously injured such as being hit by a car. Simple as that.

It looks fat because a dead animal bloats.
Yep thats what happens,they are in absolute agony when they are run over and bite anything,it maybe bloated byt looks like a female that would breed next season,mostly the diamonds i have seen run over at this time of year are slender average size males.

soulweaver said:
IMO i think it was being attack by something else. The bite to itself was an attack at its predator, but it hit itself instead.

Yes! and by doing so its deadly lethal venom, which doesn't particularly effect the originator, seeped through and killed it! Spot on Souly! 8) :lol:

Were its teeth embedded in its own body? If not, I would say that it was hit, and someone picked it up and moved it- just dropping it and it contorted into that position when they dropped it.

Otherwise...no idea.

A close up shot of the wound area would have been good Honeypot :wink: :D. I don't think it looks that bloated, I've rescued quite a few big fat healthy diamonds, the only skinny ones I have seen have been sick or injured. The diamond also appears to be coming into slough which wouldn't help it with vision and could have mistakenly bitten itself when it was run over.

NinaPeas said:
Looks a bit fat, maybe it had eggs? If you are gross like me and like disecting things, you could see if it had eggs?

I didnt even think to open it up? that probably would have given me a few more answers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back