What is this skink and a little dilemma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeynewbie

Reaction score
Just rescued this little fella, minus his tail, from a neighbourhood cat. Anyone able to tell me what he is?

Also I'm faced with a little dilemma, lots of cats around here including ferals in the bushland behind us who pretty much live on what they can catch, should I release him back here or drive him 5km down the road to my land where I've only ever seen one cat(the neighbours and never seenit on our land) and release him near my big pond...

Attachments

• skink.jpg
    skink.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 83
He looks in good health other than the tail, no puncture wuonds that I can see :) Reckon I let it go here where there are lots of cats or take it down the road to my property where cats are minimal?

Oh Nooo- it's an eastern water skink. PM ianinoz and ask him to tell you aaalllll about his.

We could organise a play date :D

Incidentally how awesome is the irridescent green on his head, just stunning!

A very nice looking female eastern water skink, very lucky you were there to rescue it. I hope you kicked that cat.

Let her calm down for a day or two - very traumatic to be attacked by a cat and to shed a big chunk of tail like that. Lizzy was upset for about a week when she had a similar close call last summer one day when she went outside, she was very reluctant to go back outside for over a month, even when we left the door wide open for her. (She'd enjoy the direct sunlight on the carpet and look outside and watch the birds and everything that went past but would not go outside). Must have got a huge fright.

Give it a few crickets and or mealworms or roaches each day for a few days, give it a little bit of water in a takeaway tub lid to drink while it's calming down, to help kick start the regeneration process. If you have warm room, place in the container you have it in there, you could put an electric blanket under part of the container and so it can get some warmth, this will help.
I'd refrain from handling the lizard , unless it makes physical contact of it's own accord.

Then let it go in a bushy part of your garden or somewhere that it can get to under your house.

That's what I'd do. I'd refrain from handling the lizard.

You'll know soon enough if it's recieved a serious injury (like a broken bones or internal injuries). I don't know if any vets would bother trying to save it if it has - which is a real shame because eastern water skinks are wonderful lizards.

I know for a fact these lizards are territorial and social. Having spent a lot time befriending the one who has adopted us and lives inside (mostly) with us who has become very tame and friendly, and by observing the behaviour of her fellows very frequently. I wouldn't take it somewhere else to release it. If you have one of these on your property you will have lots more of them living there.
If there are no good refuges for these in your yard, why not provide them with some, things like a rocky pile, or a few hollow logs, or even a pile of fallen twigs + bark + small dropped branches will do, placed at strategic locations will help them.

In a few months she'll (I think it's a Jenny based on the body shape and head shape) have a new tail.

He looks in good health other than the tail, no puncture wuonds that I can see :) Reckon I let it go here where there are lots of cats or take it down the road to my property where cats are minimal?
Let it go on your property if that's where you found / rescued it.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian, I have yet to see the cats in the backyard as our dogs chase them(to kiss them not to hurt them), but funnily enough the dogs will happily live with free range birds, lizards, etc, etc without even a second glance so I'll pop this little girl over near my raised vegie patch, it's agaist the fence so there is hiding space behind it and also quite a few plants in pots for shelter too.

Thanks Ian, I have yet to see the cats in the backyard as our dogs chase them(to kiss them not to hurt them), but funnily enough the dogs will happily live with free range birds, lizards, etc, etc without even a second glance so I'll pop this little girl over near my raised vegie patch, it's agaist the fence so there is hiding space behind it and also quite a few plants in pots for shelter too.
If you have dogs, you can guarantee you've a colony of EWSs who are there because they like to raid the dog food bowls.... cheaky little buggers.

Your dogs probably have fun chasing them too, but they are unlikely to catch them.

Last edited:
Ha ha, that would be great in theory if there was ever any food left in the dogs food bowl. The EWSs would have to form a raid party and go in fast if they wanted a chance at the dog food before it was wolfed down!

I have let it go, I was never gonna hold on to it. I've put it into my vegie garden and threw a spare hide in there and I also filled a shallow dish with water, it can have fun eating the snails and it's fenced so it'll be lovely and safe :)

I have let it go, I was never gonna hold on to it. I've put it into my vegie garden and threw a spare hide in there and I also filled a shallow dish with water, it can have fun eating the snails and it's fenced so it'll be lovely and safe :)

If you have spare MT strawberry, rasberry, blackberry or cherry punnets, the clear plastic kind, cut a lizard sized hole in two opposite sides of the top (it becomes the bottom), and toss any dead mealworms, or pupae, or dead deformed mealworm beetles or dead crickets or cockroaches into it and place it near the lizard's refuge / hide , securely fastened to the ground with a bit of twig or wire. The lizards can get in to get the treats, the birds can't. I also go the trouble of concealing the feeders by placing twigs and dead leaves over them so the lizards have cover when they visit for a treat / snack.
the lizards will figure out how to get at the tidbits of food that they can see inside them, I know when they are visiting the feeder, as I hear them.

Works a treat for my resident EWSs and brown garden skinks. This will help encourage them to come and stick around - very beneficial for your garden and they are great little pest exterminators. You might even manage to befriend some of them.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian but I have a personal rule to not actively feed wild critters, there are plenty of resident insects in my garden already as evidenced by the frogs we get under the patio on wet nights so I'm sure she'll be fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back