what made you want to keep elapids?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid@

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just curious what inspired you to the point of keeping elapids what fascinates you about them?

cheers steve

:lol:people that don't own them that want them may also comment

Last edited:
The fact that they can be a challenge, nothing more rewarding then seeing all your time an effort pay of when they are having a first feed, weaned onto rodents or even breeding.

That is why i probably won't own another python.

Elapids you have to respect i have taken 100's of bites for snappy spotteds act but elapids i don't ever plan to be bitten by, making them a challenge.

I used to keep them simply because they were so different to pythons
Generally faster and sleeker in my opinion

Possibly also the adrenalin rush when handling them??

Reflexes slowing down so after a couple of close calls I only relocate them now
[cobras are fat old pussy cats compared to Browns and Taipans]

I used to keep many Elapids, not any longer for various reasons, I like their sleekness and "dont mess with me", attitude

i plan on owning some mainly for the fact they are more active and interesting to watch than pythons are. they also have the greater challenge of handling where you have to be careful of not getting bitten.i handled my first red belly and peninsula tiger yesterday and found them amazing animals to be handling. cant wait now to get my permit and move out to have some.

I really don't think there's anything more beautiful than a red belly. It calms me to watch them. Tai's are awsome, but the rbb has a certain something about it. Just my humble opinion.

Thats all that was available down here for kids to catch 50 years ago. Have a few pythons as well these days but elapids are still by far my favorites.

I like their energetic, sleek movements and I love the shape of the Death Adders, and the colours of the RBB's and Collettes. I am particularly enamoured with the look of the ringed brown snake, and in time will be willing to spend some serious $$$'s on acquiring a few.

the rbb are the most placid of snakes when you get them from birth and handle them gently and often youll be surprised how well they react to human interaction. had one for many years and at 6ft + was a joy to cuddle and never looked like biting unless you were small and fury then he would smash and gulp like he was starving. He was as fat as mud when i gave him away and wish i never did.

I'm with Baxtor. I grew up in the western suburbs of Melbourne in the 1960's and all we had were Tigers and Little Whip Snakes. If you were very lucky you'd get to the country and maybe catch a Copperhead or White-lipped snake.

There were about 5 pet shops in Melbourne then that sold reptiles as far as I can remember - The Pink Door Pet Shop n(with the monkey in the window) in Footscray, Tropic Aquariums in Preston, Brian Barnett's in Preston, Silver Shark Aquarium and Beattie for Birds in Heidelberg. They'd advertise when they got "a shipment in from Queensland". Carpets $1 per foot, Green and Brown Tree Snakes $5-6, Bearded Dragons $1.50 and Eastern Water Dragons $6.

Once I went into Tropic Aquariums where they had a "Little Whip Snake for sale for $4...even I could identify it as a juvenile Brown Snake so I told the owner who immediatley removed it from sale.

So the reason I got into elapids was a combination of the cost of the pet shop snakes (those prices were a lot of money then) combined with the thrill of the expeditions. Eleven O'clock on Sunday mornings was Australia's best natural history program - Nature Walkabout with Vincent Serventy. I'd watch the show (perhaps be lucky enough to see Harry Butler catch a Mulga Snake)...then I'd go out and emulate my hero by tailing a tiger snake (got my first one in grade 3, put it in a milk bottle and brought it home). I've had a fascination for elapids ever since......

I'm with Baxtor. I grew up in the western suburbs of Melbourne in the 1960's and all we had were Tigers and Little Whip Snakes. If you were very lucky you'd get to the country and maybe catch a Copperhead or White-lipped snake.

There were about 5 pet shops in Melbourne then that sold reptiles as far as I can remember - The Pink Door Pet Shop n(with the monkey in the window) in Footscray, Tropic Aquariums in Preston, Brian Barnett's in Preston, Silver Shark Aquarium and Beattie for Birds in Heidelberg. They'd advertise when they got "a shipment in from Queensland". Carpets $1 per foot, Green and Brown Tree Snakes $5-6, Bearded Dragons $1.50 and Eastern Water Dragons $6.

Once I went into Tropic Aquariums where they had a "Little Whip Snake for sale for $4...even I could identify it as a juvenile Brown Snake so I told the owner who immediatley removed it from sale.

So the reason I got into elapids was a combination of the cost of the pet shop snakes (those prices were a lot of money then) combined with the thrill of the expeditions. Eleven O'clock on Sunday mornings was Australia's best natural history program - Nature Walkabout with Vincent Serventy. I'd watch the show (perhaps be lucky enough to see Harry Butler catch a Mulga Snake)...then I'd go out and emulate my hero by tailing a tiger snake (got my first one in grade 3, put it in a milk bottle and brought it home). I've had a fascination for elapids ever since......

Most of that sounds very familiar. Only the location seems to be different.

I must admit that I think your all crazy. I just don't get the attraction. It just seems like unnecessary risk. :)

But then I used to do standup wheelstands on my motorbike between cars going 110km/hr in opposite directions so I guess sanity is relative to the individual.

there is nothing risky about keeping elapids even inland tai you just have to know what your doing and have no distractions and pay attention to snakes actions and reactions. dont put fingers in snakes mouth.

I would have to agree wrightpython if you know what you are doing your pretty safe but there is allways a element of risk everytime you associate with them, I get asked all the time why? Rely I'm not sure I've allways been fascinated with reptiles and rely once you have kept carpets and colubrids long enough I felt only fit.... I mean why not?,

I have only been keeping larger elapids for a relatively short period of time and since sparked a growing intrest in all species they are alot more active, feed much more inquisitively and as stated are more of a challenge on some aspects..... And rely who can't look past the gorgeous face of a pseudechis?

I must admit that I think your all crazy. I just don't get the attraction. It just seems like unnecessary risk. :)
QUOTE]

most elapids have enough brains not to bite instinctively like pythons do, thus are often easier to maintain.

i started keeping elapids purely because they were easier to find where i grew up, in the good old days you kept what you caught, not what you found on the internet

When i was young we couldnt find pythons. As a reptile lover we got what we could. i had so little money so made do with what i was given or found. George canne gave me open top tanks for my deathadders. Easiest snake in world to look after they rarely move out of cover dont climb tell you when they want a feed with a little tail wiggle. i use to use a hook with bulldog clip to hold tail of mouse jiggle up and down to act alive and whammo everytime. 300 plus deathadders bred and released years ago and not one missed feed. and the colours you get now, im sure in a few years youll be able to get purple ones. Also most elapids i had were live bearing so didnt have worry of incubating. Pythons are a lot more work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back