Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

planning on building some enclosures.. i have on part with a floor space of 7 X 3 feet. (213cm X 90cm aprox)

i was wondering if there was any sort of monitor i could keep. assuming this was 2 ft tall. i was told on the net, a spencer would be fine, only to read the recomended floor space is 6 x 12 ish.. or something..

im looking for a large monitor, not an ackie.. or similar (nothing against them, their beautiful. i just want a big dinosaur)

bottom line, is there a monitor which would fit in a 7x2 floor space enclosure comfortably..

number 1 licence at the monent, but will be getting a class two soemtime next year (if i save for a frillie)

.. we all have dreams..

a sand goana? dont they need HUGE Enlcosures.. i got the impressiont hey did.

Varanus panoptes, do you know the common name, google sent me a jumble of words from goulds to rocky ledge, to yellow spotted.. :s

ok then the sand monitor is the biggest on class one. yellow spotted monitors and spencers are on class 2 same with Merten's Waters monitors

Last edited:
HOLY SMACK!!! that things huge.. i think it would apreciate somehtign a little larger than i am thinking about, and probably afford.. (its a monster)

would a spencers actually be alright in it.. as its only 3.5-4 foot long..

or any other monitors..

P.S. the varanus panoptes is 150 cm full grown. the whole cage it only 213 cm long..

are these actually suitable, or just big lizards.. ? haha

thansk for the quick replies.

that space would be good for any monitor under 1m.
over 1m and they will be cramped

also people recomend agaisnt sliding glass doors for monitors.. why?

it owuld have plenty of time out of the cage.. ill have to wait and see..

varanus gouldii - goulds monitor or its flavi sub-species would do ok in such a cage

or how about some large v. tristis tristis from perth, pilbara, kimberlys or some of NT have some largeish locales of tristis i have a 2ft female atm shes still growing

Sliding glass doors are bad because they are very easy for monitors to run out off.
IMO no large monitors should be kept in a cage that small unless you can build a much bigger one within 12 months. A cage that size would be excellent for any of the smaller species.

Monitors are not suited to handling at all, if your planning on handling it for "fun" you should reconsider what type of animal you get. They do not like being restrained or pushed around at all. They will generally become used to you and not be bothered by your presence(this can depend on the species and individual though).

This is is a must read if you want to get one, it is off an international site but most of the info is relevant. http://mampam.50megs.com/monitors/advice.html

Last edited:
yeah id recommend tristis and smaller for that sized cage,panoptes by the way get up to 6 foot long and would eat a sandy no probs,lol,monitors are very active,need space for moving,also sandys and spencers are a digging monitor,and inch or so of soil isnt going to cut it with them,also spencers may only get to 120 cms or so in length,but they have a short tail for a monitor so snout to vent length is quite large and there very solid as well,if its your first foray into monitors,you would be better off getting a small group of ridgeys,gillens or tristis,and doing your homework before u buy any,if kept right there all bottomless pits when it comes to feeding,so smaller ones are easyer to cater for there,not trying to scare u off,but dont get a biggin for the sake of its size,especially as a first time keeper,i wont even mention bite and scratch wound differences between the sizes,lol

oh and today when i was feeding my lacies,which live in a front sliding glass enclosure,waiting for there outdoor cage to be built, the larger pr lept out on to my leg,didnt have the camera on me so i put the girl back in and hoddled over to the camera to take a pic of the male who was still on my leg,lol

Attachments

• PA020037 (Small).JPG
    PA020037 (Small).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back