Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigblackdog

Reaction score
Got my 1st Monitor today, a beautiful juvie male V.scalaris from boa, and I'm totally fascinated by his behaviour (the monitor's, not boa's)
Apart from (almost) already proving himself to be an adept escape-artist, just the way he's exploring & probing everything is amazing.
I was totally blown away to see the little bugger support himself with his tail while all 4 legs scrabbled at the side of the tank.

I've got a pair of Storrs lined up in a couple of months, but am just curious to others thoughts/experiences with monitors.

Pics always welcome!

Anyone got Lacies? :D

I have 4 Lacies :D Unreal lizards. You can get attached to them very quickly and become mesmerized by the innocence in their eyes. I love it when they're basking lazily like a big, old dumb dog that looks up only with it's eyes because it can't be bothered raising it's head. They're just like that, bless 'em :D .

That is probably the best herp picture I've ever seen!
It looks like my 75kg Bull Arab, Akuma, only wearing a lizard skin coat! :lol:

How big an enclosure do you have the lacies in?
It looks like indoors? :?

Yeah it's indoors. That lacey is only 1m long. The enclosure is 1.4m long, 50cm high, 65cm wide. Here's another pic :D

Fantastic pics ST, they sure look spoilt.
We have varanus primordius.......just love 'em!

Are yorus staying inside Serpenttongue? I am starting to consider keeping mine inside ebcause, as you say, they are so cool. and I know that all lizards go a bit wild when kept outside. My young Bells is gettign some real character now. He stayed out last night and just kept checking us out.

Nah Pete, mine will go outdoors in a year or so. Can't wait to see them roam their outdoor enclosure. Your Bells looks really good. They look awesome when they stretch their head up like that. My 4 Lacies are the common form but 2 of them carry the Bells gene, so i hope to get Bells and Common form Lacies when/if they breed.

They do go a bit wild outdoors. I had one outdoors years ago that was okay in the mornings before it heated up. I could get it out of it's box and hold it and it would stay calm. During the day i could sit in the enclosure and it would go about it's business as long as i kept pretty still.

I am having my first monitor delivered tomorrow, a Sand Goanna. I can't wait as it will be such a different experience as a keeper than just having snakes. I'll post some pics when she arrives. She laid eggs last year but the bloke I'm getting off had a power problem and lost the lot. I'm hoping to get a male in the near future.

I hope so, my son wanted one for his 10th birthday next year, so it's his early present. I'm hoping to set up an outdoor enclosure over the next few months. does anyone know of some good sites that have heaps of info about monitors. I know there is a care sheet here, but not a lot of just general info.

I dunno mate but I think they are basically like dogs. if they are big enough to live outside you aint gunna do too much wrong. Get them a leash, feed em heaps and enjoy.

I've kept 8 species of monitors and they are by far my favourite reptiles. I find them far more interesting than snakes (although I still keep and love snakes), and their appearance is just as stunning in my opinion.
The species I've kept are:
Varanus goudlii (Sand Monitor)
Varanus varius (Lace Monitor)
Varanus mitchelli (Mitchell's Water Monitor)
Varanus mertensi (Merten's Water Monitor)
Varanus kingorum (Long-tailed Rock Monitor)
Varanus tristis (Blackheaded Monitor)
Varanus spenceri (Spencers Monitor)
Varanus rosenbergi (Heath Monitor)

Not only are their behaviours so great to watch, but setting up their environments is always great fun, trying to create naturalistic and interesting habitats.

Simon Archibald

I've owned tristis. Interesting little fellas. Typically extremely shy and timid, however I have come across exceptions, to the stage where they wont run away if you enter the room. Strictly no handling in my experience though.

I keep Gilleni.... I can't recommend them highly enough. Interesting, intelligent captives.

-H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back