Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewyy95

Reaction score
Hey everyone, im looking into getting an my frog licence but firstly i wanted to verify some things i will need for my frogs if i get them.

Can you give me some useful tips and some good facts on what to feed them etc.
Im new to the frog scene but im highly interested and will take good care if informed on some good things to do for the frogs.

Thanks

Also feel free to post pictures of your frogs and tanks to give me some ieason setting up my own

what species do you want?
here are some pics.
DSC03020.jpg

DSC03014.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03004.jpg

DSC03000.jpg

DSC02961.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02952.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

DSC02926.jpg

DSC02912.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

DSC02906.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02636.jpg

DSC02630.jpg

cheers cam

wow cam theyre good pics.
Im thinking of getting a white lipped tree frog or striped marsh but im not sure yet ,

What do you feed the frogs and how are you meant to set up their tank?

a basic setup would include: glass tank( exo terra is best for frogs) a water bowl, the type of substrate you wish to have(pebbles, spagnum moss, paper towel, artificial plants and a few logs or branches,

if you wish to keep a whitelipp your tank will need to be heated to about 28-30 degrees,
i reccomend a green tree frog as they adapt more to being handled and touched as the whitelipps dont usually tolerate this and are quite flighty.

hope that helps, if you need any more info send a pm or email me at [email protected]

cheers, Jake

Start off with a small Litoria ewingii, which require no heating, then move up to Litoria caerulea, which require a bit of heating, then Litoria infrafrenata.

well a frog thread... i love these my first frog was a brown tree frog

here are some of my pics
iv'e still got way more than this

they love crickets basically what ever is the distance in-between the eyes of animal.

Attachments

• 110620112014.jpg
    110620112014.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 184
  • 290420111890.jpg
    290420111890.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 040420111757.jpg
    040420111757.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 250120111594.jpg
    250120111594.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC01730.jpg
    DSC01730.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Red-eyedTreeFrog_big.jpg
    Red-eyedTreeFrog_big.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 220
  • W-liquidghoul-litoriaperoni.jpg
    W-liquidghoul-litoriaperoni.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 200
  • frog-2.jpg
    frog-2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 177
  • tiny-treefrog2.jpg
    tiny-treefrog2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 185
  • 4162537754_c094981f9b.jpg
    4162537754_c094981f9b.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Spotted_Marsh_Frog.jpg
    Spotted_Marsh_Frog.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Froglet at Treefrog Hollow 11th September 2008.jpg
    Froglet at Treefrog Hollow 11th September 2008.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Start off with a small Litoria ewingii, which require no heating, then move up to Litoria caerulea, which require a bit of heating, then Litoria infrafrenata.
yes i would agree with that, but it is realy up to you.
or you could start off with perons tree frogs,
here are some pics of a wild one.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

,I wish i knew you could legaly keep wild frogs in south australia when i found it.
cheers cam

Last edited:
yeh i wouldn't start on white lipped. go for a non tropical frog as in a brown tree frog person tree forg marsh frogs common froglet they all dont need any heating or anything. but green tree's are ok along with daintys are they both the easiest tropical frog to look after i think. then magnificent tree frog which is mid range and then you have your white lipped and red eyes. but in all states bar adelaide you will need a class 2 licence for red eyes i've been told, u wouldnt know because im in adelaide. you cant keep red eyes with any other frog as the red eyes have some sort of desease that grows in the frogs which dont actually hurt them or effect them one bit and can end up killing any other frog.

For the food for morphlings and juv's you can feed them crickets and house or blow flies when they become adults you can feed them crickets flies, mealworms, woodies, moths. and pretty much anything that moves.
they say frogs can eat food half there size but i wouldn't recommend it i would probly feed them 20% - 30% there body size to be on the safe side.

i have a 2.5 cm White Lipped Tree Frog that eats 6 cricket one after the other then the others only eat 2 and even 1 but morphs and juv's should have food at all time also.

With white lipped if there temps aint up they tend to suffer really bad and can cause death.

anyways here is a couple of mine :)

P6040480.jpg

P6070487.jpg

P6080473.jpg

Enjoy :)

thanks for all the information everyone and i love all your frogs,

Im thinking about the brown tree frog now ay .
Keep posting pics though lvoe to see some more species and also post some photos of their enclosures. that would ben interesting :)

Zac, love the Barred Frog, the chloris and the citropa :)

I have Red Eyed Tree Frogs and I find them very easy to keep but they do need to extra setup stuff like lighting etc. I house them in a zoomed glass enclosure. The bottom of the tank consists of water with an aquarium heater. The water heater warms the enclosure and also creates humidity. I also have hooked up a small water pump which acts as a small waterfall which is also good for humidity and it also filters the water when I turn it on. I supply UVA light for about 4 hours a day in the morning. The tank is usually warmed to between 18-25degrees but it drops down a lot at night in winter.

I feed my frogs crickets but have tried roaches. I try to feed them twice a week. I dust the crickets in a vitamin suppliment every 2nd or 3rd feed. I now also have learnt to feed the frogs in a plastic tuppleware container. This allows me to control the amount of they each get and also means that crickets wont escape.

Try to provide some live plants if you can. My frogs really enjoy the Bird Nest Fern leaves and dont sit on the glass anymore.

I wouldnt mind getting some Southern Brown Tree frogs next.

Heres a pic of my enclosure

dsc0637small.jpg

One of my frogs on the leaf of a Birds nest fern.

williamterry.jpg

Last edited:
real birdsnest or fake Willie? (hmmm,...can i put a real one in my enclosure,...im sure he'd love that!!))

dont know about other frog breeds but my ordinary gtf is freaking awesome!!!

real birdsnest or fake Willie? (hmmm,...can i put a real one in my enclosure,...im sure he'd love that!!))

dont know about other frog breeds but my ordinary gtf is freaking awesome!!!

yep, I only use real plants and am not really a fan of fake plants. I have the ones planted in the walls of the enclosure but lately I have also just added a larger one that is still in the plastic pot in to the enclosure. That way, when it starts to look a bit tired, I can put it outside for a few days.

I wanted GTFs but was worried about the size of my enclosure I had purchased. Figured it might be more suitable for RETFs :)

thanks Big Willie! :p

im not a fan of the fake plants for the frog, i tried fake vines, but a leaf he was sitting under sorta attached itself to his back and i had to spray him/it with water to get it off without hurting him,...ive been a bit put off since then,..

cant believe i didnt think of real plants, hahahahaha, his tank is massive, 4x3x2 foot! im gonna make him a rainforest!! :p Thanks!!

yeh my big tank has to be made lol. thinking of making a custom backing with ledges adn some real plants in there alot to explain, it will be a bit far away as these guys not growing as quickly as i want them 2 only one of them is growing extra quick one hasnt even got ant bigger since i got it and finding it hard for it to eat.

there WLTF's any idea's???

thanks mate pretty cool big guy he eats a pinkie every week because hes so big

You're making me want one more! A big ground frog. I don't handle my tree frogs in case they jump off my hands, and also because they're extremely skittish, but I will handle any ground frog, including my Marshy.

Pinkies every week!? Can't wait until my raniformis are full size, then they can eat some bigger prey... including a pinkie every so often ;)
I was planning on getting white clouds every now and then to feed as a treat, would you recommend this?

yeh my big tank has to be made lol. thinking of making a custom backing with ledges adn some real plants in there alot to explain, it will be a bit far away as these guys not growing as quickly as i want them 2 only one of them is growing extra quick one hasnt even got ant bigger since i got it and finding it hard for it to eat.

there WLTF's any idea's???

yeah I have a weird frog like that, he doesnt have the same appetite to my other frogs. I now feed my frogs in a plastic tuppleware container so I can ensure that they all get plenty of food.

yeah I have a weird frog like that, he doesnt have the same appetite to my other frogs. I now feed my frogs in a plastic tuppleware container so I can ensure that they all get plenty of food.

My big one will eat 6 cricket one after the other.i have them in a small tank and when they are all wide awake a douse the crickets in calcium powder and throw them in front of then and they just clean them up but when it comes to the tiny one it just doesn't seem to bother him and doesn't seem interested and now he hammy eaten in a week now. Tho he looks little fatter today them he did yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back