Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we will wait and see who gets diseases on their frogs first!, you are referring to Retf when I was talking about gtf & mtf!

i have had my frogs for 5 years and have no problems ( i'm 13 ), what does that show u;)

In my experience, Red Eyed Tree Frogs are more difficult than GTFs. I have owned both and find the RETFs particularly sensitive to disturbance and are much more difficult to feed.
(But I must say, they are much more bullet proof than I expected.)

exactly what i am trying to say here!

I also disagree with your idea of live plants arent good for frogs. I have a fully planted viv with live plants and my frogs love them. So much that they rarely climb on the glass anymore, rather choosing to navigate the broad fern leaves instead. It would be highly unlikely for a frog disease to be laying dormant in a plant but I wash all my plants first. On the vivarium forums, there are heaps of people keeping live plants with frogs.

Most of these are from america and used for dart frogs and american retf which are used to being in the tropical rainforest habitat, which red eyes are not as tropical!

I actually cant recommend live plants more. My frogs enjoy them, they increase the ability of the enclosure to hold heat, increase humidity and look great.

33-40 is way to hot and I wouldnt be surprised if your frogs have health issues down the track. Just because its 40 degrees in the region where these frogs are found, doesnt suggest that the microhabitat is this temperature. Frogs will find a cool place to survive these temps during the day and will come out at night to become active in the cooler temps.

Maybe u shouldnt judje people's setups unless u actually know what is in there and how it works compared to yours, it might be better or worse than your setups that is not up to u or me to decide! Just stop fighting and get back onto the topic, all i was trying to do was help him out!

back on topic here is my enclosure,

P1000741.jpgP1000738.jpgP1000742.jpgIMG_1881.jpg

You tell me not to insult others, then insult me.
Wow.

Anyway back to the topic -- try getting some Limnodynastids, they're nice.

i didn't insult others in any way and said "u are just making a fool of yourself" not calling u a fool!

Last edited:
i didn't insult others in any way and said "u are just making a fool of yourself" not calling u a fool!
If I'm making a fool of myself, I must be a fool, so your argument is invalid.
Just gonna say, your frogs don't look like they have ANY hiding places.

You are just making yourself look like a fool!....
I dont think so, I just think he's stating what most people agree is the correct information. You're the one getting angry over it.

I personally will not plant live plants in my enclosure when I get one as they'll eventually die and make the enclosure gunky and horrible, I'll play it safe and go fake.

I know NOTHING about keeping frogs, I dont know what they need to be happy etc, but i have to say, Frogboy, that enclosure looks awesome! To me that looks like a lovely display tank, & id be proud to have that sitting in my house! If they need hides, could u just add a hollow log maybe?

thats a beautiful enclosure frogboy!!
im very impressed!!

re live plants, i gave my frog a birds nest fern and he sends many thanks to big willie for the idea! :)
he has 2 actually, so they get swapped over weekly and stay healthy,...moss around teh bottom to stop dirt sticking to him,...

If I'm making a fool of myself, I must be a fool, so your argument is invalid.
Just gonna say, your frogs don't look like they have ANY hiding places.

it isn't a must to have a hide and it would look ugly in my tank anyway, would probably mess up the hole theme......

I know NOTHING about keeping frogs, I dont know what they need to be happy etc, but i have to say, Frogboy, that enclosure looks awesome! To me that looks like a lovely display tank, & id be proud to have that sitting in my house! If they need hides, could u just add a hollow log maybe?

thanks Bel, it is not a must have for frogs (hides)

the hollow log wouldn't go with the theme anyway.........

thats a beautiful enclosure frogboy!!
im very impressed!!

thanks Chris, it really stands out from ordinary ones.....

Last edited:
thanks Chris, it really stands out from ordinary ones.....[/QUOTE]

to be honest, i think your cage is 'ordinary'
i dont find it natural enough,
each to their own!

Ok I havea certain friend who keeps loads of litoria, and this is what he has to say word for word about this thread (I showed him a link) nobody get offended as this isnt me speaking:

frogs are easy. Humidity, and clean water plus UV. Live plants are optional and if they have no artfiicial fertilizers your frogs will be fine.
I use a worm water to feed my plants.
There is no right set up.
Go as simple as you want with a tub or a decked live enclosure.

Just provide humidity, something to climb on, clean water and UV.
Feeding them individually untill you feel you "know" them better.
All basic litoria are the same as well.
Also, frogboys enclosure is not a bad setup but it could have branches for climbing plus the pebbles should be ingested

Last edited:
im setting up an AWESOME 3ft tree frog (probs just daintys) with fish at the bottom and going to make it REALLY nice so stay tuned :D

one of my old Gtf juvie tank......
SDC17451.jpg

Big green and gray tree frogs are really appealing and friendly looking critters.

Hard not to like them.

Would love to have a couple as pets only the croaking all night would drive us mad I think. They'd have to live in an enclosure that's not inside the house.

Big green and gray tree frogs are really appealing and friendly looking critters.

Hard not to like them.

Would love to have a couple as pets only the croaking all night would drive us mad I think. They'd have to live in an enclosure that's not inside the house.
Grays are actually Peron's Tree Frogs, Litoria peronii​.

My favourite frogs are Pseudophryne. They are really easy to keep if you never want to see the frog. I find them and other similar things like, Upes, Philoria and such much prettier than any of those ugly green blobs that most frog people like. (No don't get irritated I said ugly I just mean not as pretty as my little brown frogs.)

Ground frogs are the best Geck, but they don't get all that big.
Barred Frogs however are biggish ground frogs -- they're an exception.

Well yes I would say Mixophyes iteratus are Australias largest frog so obviously they are an exception. How about some of the big Limnos though e.g. terrareginae, interioris?? Plenty of decent sized ground frogs up to about a RETF size, just not so many GTF size. I like little frogs anyway.

frog facts

Thank you every one for your information.I want to add some Frog Facts.Frogs are found in every corner of the world, where there is little water present. They are ugly looking creature not liked by many. Students of the medical start learning dissection on the frogs first because their digestive system and some other systems resemble humans. Some frog species are so tiny that they occupy place on one human nail but they are extremely poisonous as well.

Well i must say im back for those who wondered where i went lol (probably no one).

I have came back with MORE species of frogs and a new enclosure.

Well instead of talking about it ill show the lot of you!

Enjoy!!!

This is the enclosure.
kd0o4w.jpg

This is the frogs that are in it atm.
1z3rubt.jpg

Well i must say im back for those who wondered where i went lol (probably no one).

I have came back with MORE species of frogs and a new enclosure.

Well instead of talking about it ill show the lot of you!

Enjoy!!!

This is the enclosure.
kd0o4w.jpg

This is the frogs that are in it atm.
1z3rubt.jpg
Hey Froggie. I came back with more species myself. I am looking at getting even more but that never flies well... see what I did there? are you loving the Peron's or what such fast growing frogs. I was lucky enough to see a few on my trip to NSW even got a few pictures along with the Shoalhaven zoo they were the highlight of my trip. For those of you who have never heard of Shoalhaven Zoo its certainly worth the visit if you find yourself near there. Some great herp talks and some interesting keeping ideas.

here are some in their natural habitat.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...1077314883_764769882_8339184_1932437032_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...81076554883_764769882_8339178_437911503_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old thread but there are a few points to be made...

If live plants give frogs diseases, why do wild frogs not get sick from all the live plants they come in contact with on a daily basis? If you think it might somehow be caused by the plants being enclosed... Google any overseas frog keeping group or retailer. Their set-ups almost always have live plants and the retailers sell a wide selection of live plants specifically for frog vivariums.

Australian frogs are essentially terrestrial. I don't think any of the few exceptions are kept. So what does this mean? Our frogs to do not need a pond of water in which to live. They will not live in it and to force them to do is wrong as they will suffer accordingly. They only need an area of sufficient moisture to rehydrate, which is most easily provided via a water bowl. A large body of water is only require when breeding. If you do have the bottom of the enclosure as a pond, so long as there is plenty of areas for perching above it and maybe the odd island or two, the frogs will be fine.

Poison Dart frogs are believed to derive their poison from certain bugs that eat poisonous plants, like ants, termites, beetles and mites. The frogs retain the poison and move it to their skin. When kept in captivity and fed typical captive food, they loose eventually lose their poison and can be handled with bare hands at no risk. Captive bred animals contain no toxins at all.

I have difficulty believing that Red-eyed Tree Frogs give other species a disease. I also have a mate who ha kept 6 RTFs together with Dainty Tree Frogs, for several years. last time I spoke to him they were all still doing fine.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back