what other food for gippsland water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haydenvic

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have 2 young gippsland water dragons currently feeding them meal worms, occasionally raw chicken, lean mince and a bit of apple once. what else could i feed them? havent fed them many crickets as they normally get out and jump around the house or drown in the water where the fish usually eat them.

cool the crickets in the fridge then give them to the dragons...they'll be slower. Surprised your dragons don't grab them before the fish; my easterns go bloody crazy the second they see the cricket container.

but you can give them woodies, grasshoppers etc...any bug you can buy commercially really. however mealworms are meant to be hard to digest, fatty, and with little value apparently (ive never used them).

salad wise; lots of greens like bok choy (but not lettuce; it's basically water). and finely shredded other veg. No doubt the more colourful, the more they'll like it...I am just assuming though. but yeah, lots of greens. The importance of the greens is dark leafy green vegetables have higher levels of calcium than others

reckon you're gonna get banned too now mud :p...but I guess that's the point

Last edited:
They love the Rep Cal bearded dragon pellets.

cool the crickets in the fridge then give them to the dragons...they'll be slower. Surprised your dragons don't grab them before the fish; my easterns go bloody crazy the second they see the cricket container.

but you can give them woodies, grasshoppers etc...any bug you can buy commercially really. however mealworms are meant to be hard to digest, fatty, and with little value apparently (ive never used them).

salad wise; lots of greens like bok choy (but not lettuce; it's basically water). and finely shredded other veg. No doubt the more colourful, the more they'll like it...I am just assuming though. but yeah, lots of greens. The importance of the greens is dark leafy green vegetables have higher levels of calcium than others
thats a good idea with the crickets i will definitely give it a go, i gave up on crickets because of them getting out. i was told by the place i got my 1st gippy that mealworms are good for them?? with the veg should it be cooked?

reckon you're gonna get banned too now mud :p...but I guess that's the point
\???

it was about one of those anti aps messages...the member obviously got banned and the post is gone. so it wasnt about you :)

nah don't cook the vegetables :)

Like I said, I havent personally used mealworms, but from what I've read they're mostly fat, but I don't really know; haven't personally looked into it.

But yeah, woodies, crickets etc. just put em in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes before "serving".
Also, mine will jump in the lil container and grab them before they even have a chance to get out; and they're not cooled when that happens :) so you could try that

there's a sponser on here...livefoods, where you can bulk order insects; would be good to start your own colony, I think I'm going too.

No the veggies should not be cooked, when they get soft from boiling or whatever they lose all the goodies. Raw is the way to go. Don't feed em to many mealies though. And 'mud' probably said something to infringed the site rules and the comment was deleted, that's what I assume when I see it....EDIT: I have to learn to type faster

Don't worry too much if they don't take to the vegies either, water dragons rarely eat anything that doesn't move before they are about 12 months old, if yours do your lucky. Mine wont touch anything stationary but my older eastern eats everything, she even tries to eat plastic plants.

to start them off on veggies i would mix a few meal worms through their veg bowl and after a few shots i took out the meal worms and he eats them regularly now. mixture of green beans, strawberry, apple, carrot bok choy, spinach, carrot tops etc etc. the harder fruits and veg like carrots are great for strengthening their jaws. Also, make crickets their main diet instead of meal worms.

to start them off on veggies i would mix a few meal worms through their veg bowl and after a few shots i took out the meal worms and he eats them regularly now. mixture of green beans, strawberry, apple, carrot bok choy, spinach, carrot tops etc etc. the harder fruits and veg like carrots are great for strengthening their jaws. Also, make crickets their main diet instead of meal worms.
thanks ill give it a go

Don't worry too much if they don't take to the vegies either, water dragons rarely eat anything that doesn't move before they are about 12 months old, if yours do your lucky. Mine wont touch anything stationary but my older eastern eats everything, she even tries to eat plastic plants.
mine are around 10 months and have eaten a bit of apple so ill give what you said a go thanks

No the veggies should not be cooked, when they get soft from boiling or whatever they lose all the goodies. Raw is the way to go. Don't feed em to many mealies though. And 'mud' probably said something to infringed the site rules and the comment was deleted, that's what I assume when I see it....EDIT: I have to learn to type faster
i have guinea pigs so i always have greens so will do what you said to do. im not the fastest typer either

it was about one of those anti aps messages...the member obviously got banned and the post is gone. so it wasnt about you :)

nah don't cook the vegetables :)

Like I said, I havent personally used mealworms, but from what I've read they're mostly fat, but I don't really know; haven't personally looked into it.

But yeah, woodies, crickets etc. just put em in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes before "serving".
Also, mine will jump in the lil container and grab them before they even have a chance to get out; and they're not cooled when that happens :) so you could try that

there's a sponser on here...livefoods, where you can bulk order insects; would be good to start your own colony, I think I'm going too.
oh ok then stupid person lol
i will try what you said thanks :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back