What problems can you get breeding snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanthomas

Reaction score
so im breeding bredlis next season how do i start to do it and what are the problems that come with breeding???

there is a fair bit of info on here, however i recommend you get a copy of "keeping and breeding australian pythons", herpbooks will be able to sort you out. It will detail the preperation leading up to the breeding season, cooling, introduction dates, prelay shed, incubation, hatchling care etc. you are better off to get the book and get the accurate information rather than trying sort the good from bad on the net.

The biggest problem you'll encounter breeding bredli is getting rid of the babies. I'd also suggest that you phrase your announcement in terms like 'I hope to breed bredli next season'... it doesn't sound like you have much experience, and the world is full of good intentions (although you'd be doing the world a favour by NOT breeding bredli in the near future...)

Jamie

I dont agree with the whole cant rid of them, you probably just cant get rid of them at the prices you are chasing, It all comes down to supply and demand

there is a fair bit of info on here, however i recommend you get a copy of "keeping and breeding australian pythons", herpbooks will be able to sort you out. It will detail the preperation leading up to the breeding season, cooling, introduction dates, prelay shed, incubation, hatchling care etc. you are better off to get the book and get the accurate information rather than trying sort the good from bad on the net.

I think this is the response we should be giving an inexperienced herper.
He may want to keep the whole clutch or beter still give them to some of his mates.

Yes i dont have have experince with BREEDING but i have had people say they'd buy them of me and i was thinking id sell them for about $150.... but yeah.....

Jags... Thats about it IMO...

I have struggled to get rid of stuff this year... I have been selling adults at $100 bucks each, not a drop of interest at anything higher...

There really isn't anything selling atm like they were a few seasons ago. Best advice you could get atm is to keep the things you enjoy and don't worry about breeding.

Ok, so people who know their stuff are trying to tell you the market is not really the greatest at the moment.
I'm listening, you should too ;) :)

Dylan tell us a bit more information.

What kind of set up do you have, what are your temp cycles, feeding regime, animal weights, animal ages etc.

live in FNQ dont have temp cycles, i feed my costal every 3 days, 2 weaner mice and feed my bredli boy 2 large rats every week and girl 2 every 2 weeks and my spotted 1 fuzzie every week, dont know there weights but there deffently dont look runty, and ages costal 11 months, bredli boy 3 and girl 6 years, and spotted 10 mounths!

Thanks da donky , i think ill breed the bredlis for fun 4 a while!

Part of my first post in this thread was tongue in cheek, the other part was serious - breeding large clutches of pythons 'for fun' is not a responsible attitude in these times of oversupply. Unless you have something that people want, or that is in demand at a given time. The oversupply of particular species due to uncontrolled breeding 'just because you can' is becoming a major problem for the hobby/industry. Do the hobby a favour and forget the breeding thing...

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back